Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to try something new, and man does it look sweet as ****, the jury is still out on the overall grippiness of the finished product. I still need to fit the seat and grips together, nothing is trimmed up and finished on it yet.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure this is the next big thing in rod building, but it's sure neat for a hobby builder to be able to throw down at factory rod weights and beat the snot out of them. The killer is the price that is demanded for these type of grips, any of the places that makes these charges an easy $40 or more for them, and I can see why, it's time consuming. I have $2.50 in the foam core, $2.50 into the carbon, and I've used likely $5 in resin, this doesn't account for sanding/shaping supplies, or epoxy cups, brushes, and stir sticks x3.

This set of grips is going to be given away to an old high school buddy who doesn't know the rod is even coming.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
**** i saw a cf trolling rod. ahhh
thats sweet. im very partial to cf. ahve it all over my bike. that looks damn fine imo. wish i could afford one of those. cf is puuuurty.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
That does look time consuming but the final product is sweet!

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ever since I've started with the carbon, and even making grips that are no good, I want to get some slimmer Carbon and sleeve some jerks for night fishing. Would be cool looking if nothing else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just a quick tip to help you with finishing carbon.

If you havent found www.sollercomposites.com yet its a great source for carbon sleeves.

Also after applying epoxy wrap it with heat shrink tape. It will eliminate a lot of the surface texture that can be a pain to sand away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts