Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
i love carp fishing on the platte ;D i catch many big fish.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I respect carp as much a I do Jay...wait, I guess you are right, they do reserve much more respect than that!!
:eek:

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I am the Anti-Carp.

I dont kill em, but i dont get too excited about catching them....especially if im fishin for cats....and for some reason i dont even like to handle them...

carp = yuck

·
Registered
279 Posts
I LOVE CARP! I mean it! I love carp like I love my wife and son. I fish them in the spring summer fall, AND winter. I fish for them through the ice, on rivers, on ponds, at lakes. I believe they deserve evry ounce of respect that we can give them!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Haha, the only time I like to catch carp is when they are super huge or when I'm getting skunked.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Name one other fish in Colo. you can consistently catch that averages over 5lbs? Thats right....none.

I cant say Ive ever got a small carp, Like I have a small bass or trout.

They also fight really well!!!

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Carp are one of the strongest fish you can find. If you took a carp and a bass of the same size and tied them together, the carp would tow the bass all over the lake.

Too bad they are practically inedible. I have tried everything I know to make carp taste good. I have made smoked carp, pickled carp, and everything else I ever heard of, they still taste like mud.

There is only one thing you can do with them -- cut them up for catfish bait.

But they sure are great fun to catch. I have lost more line, and broken more rods, on carp than any other fish. Just thinking about it makes me want to fix up a batch of doughballs and head for the water.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I would say 80% of the carp I catch dont fight, its like reeling in a tree branch. I almost always think I'm snagged tell I stop reeling and the line starts swimming away then its back to reeling.
Bass on the other hand take off, they try to get the hook out of thier mouths and try to stay away from that boat or the shore which ever direction they are being pulled.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
ePiC,

That's so different from the carp I have caught that I don't even know what to say.

I'd say catching a carp is more like accidentally snagging a passing motorboat. They just head out and for the first few minutes there is just no way stop them. Then they usually turn and run sideways to your line while it's singing through the water like a violin string. Then another run straight out, then another lateral pass, and so on.

We are talking about the same fish, aren't we?

Maybe you caught a poor little baby one? :)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Well I have caught many carp and like I said 80% of them, I dont know maybe different species of carp fight better. I'd say over 90% of the carp I have caught are common carp and like I said its just like reeling in a log, that swims away.
I have hooked into large ones that have spooled me, fishing mulberries under mulberry trees. This was a favorite thing to do growing up when I wasnt catching anything, I'd go sit under the tree with mulberries on the hook and see if I could drag them in... but it was just that "dragging" they didnt burst with speed they didnt jump and run, they just tried swimming away. Not an exciting fight, I think trout are even funner to catch then carp as they make runs to the shore to current or where ever.
Its all prefrence I guess, I have heard grass carp are better fighters.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Rottal said:
I am the Anti-Carp.

I dont kill em, but i dont get too excited about catching them....especially if im fishin for cats....and for some reason i dont even like to handle them...

carp = yuck
I gotta agree with Rottal.....I'd rather eat my own puke than catch a carp :-X. I don't think there is much of a middle ground on these fish love em or hate em haha. In edit I will say they are still a creature of God but that doesn't mean I have to like them or does it? haha

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
ePiC said:
they didnt burst with speed they didnt jump and run, they just tried swimming away.
Aha! I see the point now, that I was missing before. Yes. Carp try to escape by swimming away. Very sensible of them, don't you think? Trout try to escape by having a fit, and jumping and tearing around in all directions. Possibly not an optimal survival trait, but entertaining for the fisherman.

I agree with all of that. Besides, trout are good to eat. My only point was that hooking into something that is so big and strong that you might break your tackle trying to land him, is also entertaining for some fishermen. :)

My previous misunderstanding was because I was having trouble associating a carp's method of fighting, with the idea of a "log". That's more how I think of a walleye. :)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IF carp could jump we wouldn't even be talking about bass. ::)

F

·
0 Posts
carp are super charged machines.....They dont get airborn but if you think you can easily turn a 15lb carp you've got another thing coming ....When I was a kid we kept getting our lines snapped by monster carp at a local pond..my cousin and I found a solution to the problem....40lb test we rigged our poles (which could barely hold 100 yards of 10lb test) with the 99cent eagle claw line and headed back out....Certainly these fish were 40lbs and couldnt brake the line ......After having 5 of these hard chargin s.o.b.'s bend our hooks straight we finally gave up ....Carp have all of my respect.....Carp are sport fish and the longer it takes for americans to realize that The better the fishing will be for the few who do .

·
Registered
943 Posts
i have been fishing for them for the past few weeks and have had a blast i think some people are carpaphobic around here ;D

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
im amazed more people dont target the big carp
when im out fishing for cats at j-martin i will hook into some carps and yes they do or most act like logs and just sit there no run no moving no nothing
but the ones that you can get to take a 3/0 - 5/0 hook and half a perch well dont have to move much to make them fun to reel in

i have gotten some real big ones close to shore but most of the time when they decide to leave well their gone

1 - 20 of 22 Posts