Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts
Look Rperry, your question wasn't innocent. People are pissed at you because you asked something you shouldn't. The fact that you aren't from here doesn't help because we get a lot of tourists here and they don't respect what isn't theirs. Don't ask a pointed question about illegal activity and then try to turn it around on us like we are attacking you. You need to understand that you are a visitor and you need to obey the law. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. No one cares that you don't agree with our laws. Either follow them or pick somewhere else to visit. People were genuinely trying to help you and then you turned this into some sort of childish feud between the UK and the US. You caused the problem here.

Rperry,

The correct response when someone lets you know that you will be in violation of the law is to say "thank you"..... Not to get all butt hurt. Damn you are a delicate little flower.

A skilled angler wouldn't need to chum :)

And I suggested multiple times on here to USE PACK BAIT instead of chumming... I even posted a video for you.

Don't make us throw your tea in the harbor :rofl:

And here I thought this was going to have a happy ending... :D:D:D Cultural clash... Rattman providing lots of entertainment lately. Seriously, folks, I think Rperry probably just feels "naked" without his chumming. Kinda like the fly folks without their fly rods or the spinning folks without their spinning outfits. Rperry, rattman is really an OK dude. Can't we all just get along? :biggrin1::D

Wow... I mean really? Thanks to the occasional helpful post but to rattman and ranger, you seem like a couple of Trolls, the type that is actual illegal in my great country but you seem a little more worried about sweetcorn slippages.

So let me get this straight:
You can fire a bow through them?
You can throw them up on the bank and leave them for dead?
You are even looking at introducing a disease that causes a slow painful death?

BUT, a good natured post regards baiting WHEN NOT FISHING and returning the next day after finding where they will feed and you want to bring the wrath of the Colorado fishing police out, absolutely laughable. I'll be filmed, reported to a ranger, or the hilarious joke post about an EU jail, I can only assume you are one of the 'joke' american characters we pastiche on UK TV.

To the sensible posters on here, I'd appreciate answers to the original 'unethical' question.... it can't be chumming if I'm not fishing, so are you not allowed to feed carp at Jackson Lake ever?

Jackson Ranger, thanks for the kind offer, but I'm unsure we'd gel, joining a forum just to 'stamp your ranger authority' on a post asking more about if chumming whilst NOT fishing is allowed and proceeding with the 'We'll find out' is frankly something that we Brits associate with Yogi bear!

Good luck guys, but I think I may leave the tackle at home and enjoy the Colorado sunshine.
What seems to have eluded you in your desire to "feed" corn to the carp in order to find "where they will feed" is that fish/carp will gravitate to areas where food is made available- even in your proposed unnatural manner. So you would not be discovering where they will feed but, rather, attracting them to an area with an unnatural food source. That is the essence of chumming. A sportsman would enjoy the challenge of finding fish that are following their normal patterns and frequenting their normal locations. A bit more skill and imagination is required but you don't seem to be up for that type of challenge.

Your posts have revealed you to be an uber troll and a putz. And being a troll in your great country is illegal? Do you all burst into tears when confronted by non conformist posts? Please return to your homeland where you are required to pay to fish most locations and are left with the tremendous sport and excitement of "match fishing" for minnows.

Begone panty boy. You can sniffle about being treated rudely by the rough Americans to all your friends. Seems as though British expectations of docility and subservience still don't translate well on this side of the pond.

Just having fun here, Linh. I'm bored and bores like the OP bore me even more. Too many sparks flying recently to be out fishing. Maybe I'll head out to the Crack with a bottle of Clorox to see where the fish like to do their laundry.

You seem to have recovered mightily from your match fishing days.

RPerry,

From all of us here at the Colorado Fishing Forum I would like to wish you a Happy 4th of July! Merica' F#%k Yea!!!!!!!!! Now I am going to go shoot guns and blow **** up! :nod::dance::rockon::usa2::rockon::usa2::rockon::boom::boom:

So if i trip and fall, roll my ankle, and my burrito ends up in the water accidently... will i be cited for chumming? What if by chance i gill hook something undersized and its not going to make it? Do i have to release it knowing its gonna be a floater and swell up in the sun and go to waste? Or will i be cited for that as well if i dont? Just trying to understand how you would enforce something that was 'accidental'? Maybe im dumb? :confused2:

thanks for all your help so far. I now understand 'chumming' but here's some questions?

What happens if I do put put bait out? Who says what and what happens?
I presume that if I'm not fishing, I could visit jackson lake and accidentally fall over with 5kg of sweetcorn in my hands? What happens then?
Is PVA really not an option?
Help..........please I need a Jackson Carp and leave in 3 weeks today ;0)
I just read this and thought it was worthy of discussion.

From the Regs:

CHUMMING is placing fish, parts
of fish or other feeding material
in the waters for the purpose of
attracting fish to a particular area
in order that they might be taken.
This does not include fishing with
baited hooks or live traps.

At first glance, "in order that they might be taken" could be interpreted by the uninformed angler in a couple ways. Catch and release may not be viewed as "taking" fish since they are being released back into the water.

Upon further reading however, the angler will find the definition in the regs of fishing and catch and release are as follows:

FISHING is defined as efforts to
take fish, amphibians or crusta- ceans,
including by hook and line,
handline, trotline, jug, seine, net,
underwater spearfishing, archery,
snagging or gigging.

CATCH AND RELEASE — Any fish released upon
catch must be released alive and into the same
body of water from which it was taken

It could be argued that one could visit a body of water and "spill corn" and not break the regs. The individual would have to argue the intent was not to "take fish." It would be the person's own moral compass that they'd have to answer to if they were deceitful with their true intent.

I haven't found anything in the regs that says you can't feed the fish and it appears chumming relies on the intent of the individual. It doesn't appear that attracting fish by tossing in sweet corn would in itself be illegal.

I am NOT condoning chumming the night before and going back later. The "intent" one day doesn't mean you can change you mind the next and say, "Well last night when I threw out sweet corn I wasn't planning on fishing but tonight I think I'll change my mind and fish that spot."

Now I feel I'm rambling... 14 hours of endless excel spreadsheets and financial data will make you go nuts!

Moral of the story, don't chum and don't be that guy that changes his "intent" the day after throwing food to the fishies!

Dallas, chumming is considered feeding the fish! Throwing any bait out that is not on a hook is considered chumming period!!! You need to stop over thinking this crap, bait a bare hook, for Future Xperimental Research finish reading the regs and go fishing!!!

FXR... I like what you did there!

I needed a quick break from endless numbers and pulled up the regs for some light reading late last night.

It got me thinking about how you see people throwing bread to ducks and geese... they have no intention of catching the waterfowl.

If you see some carp rooting and let the kids toss them some bread is that chumming?

There is no intent to "take" the fish, simply let the kids watch them suck the bread off the surface.

I know it's a fine line but it got me thinking, where is the line?

Maybe the Ranger would be so kind as to chime in and clarify since they'd be the authority citing people.

FXR... I like what you did there!

I needed a quick break from endless numbers and pulled up the regs for some light reading late last night.

It got me thinking about how you see people throwing bread to ducks and geese... they have no intention of catching the waterfowl.

If you see some carp rooting and let the kids toss them some bread is that chumming?

There is no intent to "take" the fish, simply let the kids watch them suck the bread off the surface.

I know it's a fine line but it got me thinking, where is the line?

Maybe the Ranger would be so kind as to chime in and clarify since they'd be the authority citing people.

If youre that hard up for some suburban slamon ill take you and get you on some.

One of these days I'll have enough time to take you up on that offer Grumpie.

Mandatory overtime is killing me right now.

I finished my CPA exams and thought I'd finally get to enjoy some free time then the hammer came down at work. It's literally sucking the life out of me.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.