Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Carp fishing

17K views 57 replies 16 participants last post by  dallasdb 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm a london carp fisherman, who has a sister living in Greeley, I visit every year and am asking for some help as my next visit in July I want to catch an American carp. Doesn't have to be huge, just want a chance of some action. Any advice regards waters that hold carp, what permit I may need to buy etc.

Good luck and I love your state!

#2 ·
you'll need to purchase a colorado fishing license. you can do this online or in person at a sporting goods store (maybe drive by bass pro on your way out of DIA to greeley). as far as waters to catch carp....your not going to have a problem catching carp here. i think stop #1 for you would be Jackson Lake State Park. which is a bit east and south of where your sister lives but not by much. Really pretty close to greeley. Jackson Lake is a veritable sea of carp. I once spent a morning at Jackson lake and it looked like there were more carp in the water than gnats in the air and there were a lot of gnats. I would venture a guess that if you know how to catch carp in Britain you'll slay out here. enjoy. and for the record, a lot of us love your country too.

#4 ·
I was born and raised in Greeley. We used to pull massive carp out of Arrowhead Lake but I believe it is now closed to the public. Same with Seeley Lake. Look those up just case in something has changed.

Sanborn Park and Bittersweet Park have small lakes that I can recall catching/seeing carp at. It has been many years but they are both nice parks located near the middle of Greeley so these might be your best bet for quick, easy, carp action.

We used to fish Glenmere Park all the time for largemouth bass. I recall seeing the occasional carp.

Cottonwood Park is a quaint little park hidden in a neighborhood not far from Sanborn. I definitely recall seeing carp there. If you're bored why not check it out, I used to live around here and its a nice area.

Poudre Pond is a relatively new place to fish in north Greeley. My dad said he fared ok from a boat with various gamefish including catfish. I can't speak on carp availability.

I can verify the Jackson Lake testimony. Its been years but I recall it TEEMING with carp. About a 45-60 min drive from Greeley. Its not the most scenic part of Colorado as its in the middle of nowhere but theres a decent beach their swimming if you want to bring others while you fish.

If you're really bored go to www.greeley.gov and use their park finder to spot any bodies of water you want to check out.

Definitely get a Colorado Fishing License. The two Walmarts in Greeley will be able to provide one.

Good luck and report your findings!

#11 · (Edited)
I am down in Colorado Springs. I am always looking for opportunities to carp fish a session with a fellow Englishman. As has been already mentioned, Colorado fishing license, 2nd Rod Stamp.

Ralpert puts the carp on the bank for sure - hit him up as well, he can get you on the fish - he's also going to be a lot closer! Ralpert also knows how to get in touch with me. Perhaps, if the stars align, we all can get a session together - I could also bring to the session a 2nd full set of euro tackle for you to use that day - not sure what you will have with you.

Carping in Colorado is going to be a lot of fun for you, and very different, compared to that back home. Truly wild fish, most have never been caught. Our no chumming rules will reduce you to tears - but, if you can get on the fish, it's well worth it to catch our powerful, beautiful, mile high Carp ! Location Location Location is everything here.

Tight-Lines,

#25 ·
Love your videos man. They are deff one of a kind. Seen you at chatfield a few times but didnt want to bother or get in the way. My goal for this summer is a mirror carp. Hope the odds are forever in my favor.

#13 ·
Thanks Richard - I consider myself to simply be an obsessed carp angler, with too much time spent on the bank, behind a camcorder and fingers at the electronic keyboard of social media ! I also drink way too much coffee ! Love em, or hate em, the carp are here to stay and these past few seasons Colorado's anglers have been out there, putting them on the bank, in ever increasing numbers. I really enjoy seeing all the capture photo's I get sent, especially those of families, out enjoying our spectacular Colorado parks and wildlife. Hopefully we can sort something out for later this season and finally get some lines in the water together.

Tight-Lines (or slack, if that's your preference!)

#17 ·
There you go. John, I was going to message you about this fellow Carp Hunter but I see you found his post.

There are lots of Carp, big ones, swimming around in the shallow canal surrounding Barr Lake. They are also IN Barr Lake, and were foraging and ripping thru the moss near shore last month. 2 months ago, I caught a big carp out of the canal, a month later a ranger mentioned that fishing is not allowed in the canal (it's owned by the irrigation district) but you can turn your back from the lake and the canal is right behind you

#14 ·
Guys, sorry I've been away fishing in the UK and forgot to check back in... I'm in your beautiful state from Friday and can't wait. If there's any offers or tip local to greely I will blag a lift buy a bit of the needed from the local and try and catch a few on peanuts and corn.

#18 · (Edited)
I don't believe so. The water is cold, even in the summer.

The nice thing about Carp, is they are regarded as a nuisance here whereas Catfish are "Fished Out" and taken home to eat. You can catch some enormous beasts, as the carp are not kept like all other species

Also, check out any of the inner city (Denver) ponds and lakes, they should have lots of carp! (or so they say, as everyone on here jokes about places like Sloans Lake, etc.)

#29 · (Edited)
Am i allowed to fish UK style which is fishing on the bottom with sweetcorn, tiger nuts and things like this?

Just been reading up and notice in post above 'no chumming' does this mean no free bait is allowed to be used? Is this strictly enforced as it would be madness (to me) to go fishing and use just 1 bait...the one attached to the hook.

#31 ·
thanks for all your help so far. I now understand 'chumming' but here's some questions?

What happens if I do put put bait out? Who says what and what happens?
I presume that if I'm not fishing, I could visit jackson lake and accidentally fall over with 5kg of sweetcorn in my hands? What happens then?
Is PVA really not an option?
Help..........please I need a Jackson Carp and leave in 3 weeks today ;0)

#34 ·
Rperry,
Spilling (accidentally or incidentally) any corn, bait, etc. into the water would be considered chumming. There are many forums online for catching carp. I would suggest that you read them. carp fishing is very popular at JAckson Lake because it is a very easy fish to find and to catch. Chumming is not necessary.
As for how we would find out; one of our few rangers or wildlife officers who monitors fishing would likely notice your chumming activity or be informed by one of our many ethical anglers who visit Jackson Lake regularly.

If you have any questions or need any advice on fishing, I would be glad to assist you.

Tyler Sewald
Senior Ranger

#32 ·
Come on, Man. Fishers consistently catch carp here on artificial flies. Are you really whining about being disallowed from chumming? For carp??!! And, further, asking for guidance as you contemplate violating Colorado regulations? There are too few rangers/wardens in this state but most folks have cell phones and are applauded for reporting violators. So there are eyes everywhere.
Accidentally "spilling" corn would be recognized for what it is and fishing over a "spill" would still be considered chumming. If you were caught, you would be turned over to some angry, gay EU thugs who will teach you a new meaning for the term "woolly bugger" as they spill their own corn. Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.