Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to handle a carp for catch and release. Im new to this species. I assume that the lip hold used for bass and crappie is not a great option. Any tips on bait would also be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
they are very hearty fish, grab them by the tail and cradle them under their belly to hold them, you can take the hook out when the fish is on the ground if you want, or cradle it like a baby and take it out with the other hand. I prefer the on the ground or in the net to remove hook.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I mainly fish for bass. I was bouncing a jig with a Berkely micro-minnow and felt a snag. I attepted to jar it loose and the snag fought back. I fish with ultra-light tackle and that carp put up a terrific fight. Looking forward to my next one.

Thanks again for the tips...

M

·
0 Posts
as far as bait, u can pretend u r catfishing, but ive caught them on anything from worms to hot dog pieces to whatever, bread seems to be good if u can keep it on the hook

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
fly fishing is supposed to be very effective for carp. Personally, I've caught them while catfishing, but I want to flyfish for a few this year. Also, when releasing a carp, in answer to your first question, don't let it thrash around! It is best to just keep it in the water because carp have big scales that fall off easily, and when the scales fall of it leaves the fish open for skin infections.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help.... Ive read some doughball recipes. Im looking forward to trying them this weekend (weather permitting). I also have been experimenting with fishing flys with ultralite spinning gear....the carp have been ignoring both wet and drys.....Ive heard woolybuggers are sometimes effective.

Again thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
woolybuggers is what everyone here says to go with.

D

·
0 Posts
Back where I grew up whole kernel corn was the ticket - Niblets was believed to be the best. Just put 2-4 kernels on a small, sharp hook and fish unweighted on light line. Make sure your bail is open or that you have your rod tied down!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Don In Denver said:
Back where I grew up whole kernel corn was the ticket - Niblets was believed to be the best. Just put 2-4 kernels on a small, sharp hook and fish unweighted on light line. Make sure your bail is open or that you have your rod tied down!
I thought I heard from someone that using corn in Colorado was illegal, something about digesting it. But I just looked it up and couldnt find anything on it. Anyone know?

D

·
0 Posts
I looked also before I made my post and I couldn't find anything in the regulations prohibiting corn as bait in Colorado.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
We use to use it alot when I lived in Nebraska, it works pretty good. And its cheap can keep kids entertained for hours.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Epic...

I thought I heard from someone that using corn in Colorado was illegal, something about digesting it. But I just looked it up and couldnt find anything on it. Anyone know?
I think it is Wyoming you are thinking about...I am pretty sure I read their regs once and you cant use corn there for the digestion problem you spoke of...

D

·
0 Posts
The use or possession of corn while fishing is illegal in both Utah and Wyoming.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Corn is legal to use, you can't chum it though, which most people do with corn to make it be effective. IMO it shouldn't be legal...but oh well.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
What exactly does the corn do to the fish?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts