Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have a boat now, a friend of mine got me into carp fishing. I caught a 15 pounder at Washington Park. They may be a junk fish, but they are fun to catch! So do people try to catch them from a boat? What do they use? I've used dough bait and corn, are there other options?
Thanks for any help and by the way I do catch and release, what are your thoughts on carp? Catch and kill or release?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Look up "boilies" and "pack baits".

I love carp fishing... great fighters. :)

There is a YouTube channel you need to check out. A guy named John Finney is a very dedicated carp fisherman here in Colorado, and he puts out videos all the time. Look up "Carp Quest" on YouTube. ;)

:)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I love catching carp, and always release them. Boilies are a great bait for them, you can find them on ebay. I like using the fruit flavours over the fish ones FYI catfish like the fish flavoured ones too. From a boat I would use bread crust or flies. Good luck

·
Registered
341 Posts
Look up "boilies" and "pack baits".

I love carp fishing... great fighters. :)

There is a YouTube channel you need to check out. A guy named John Finney is a very dedicated carp fisherman here in Colorado, and he puts out videos all the time. Look up "Carp Quest" on YouTube. ;)

:)
I 2nd taking a look at John's videos! He's a true Carper

·
Registered
592 Posts
Get them on a fly!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have caught many at Pueblo while trolling from my canoe or sail boat. They will take a berkley Frenzy.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I wonder if carp in Europe taste better than our carp. Me being the semi-open minded Cajun carnivore I am, I tried several ways to prepare them. They always tasted like frog-smell and mud forced through a sieve.

Carp are really easy to catch. Sorry, it is true. You might not catch an individual fish, but you just get so many shots at them, some lakes around here are 60% carp and 40% water. They are very smart (for a fish) but there are so many that you always get another chance.

They can be caught on bait, as has been mentioned, but try using a 1/32 oz black marabou jig on a medium light spinning rod and targeting fish rooting around in the shallows. You can catch them till you are bored of it.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I've been wanting to fish the Platte here in Denver for them... would be a blast on the fly rod.

Same fly be good for that, swimbait?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I've been wanting to fish the Platte here in Denver for them... would be a blast on the fly rod.

Same fly be good for that, swimbait?
If you can approach them when they're rooting without spooking them I don't think it really matters what you put in front of them.... If I don't spook them with my shrek like stomp it's my poor casting that leaves me casting to a cloudy mudburnout where the carp was chowing down. It takes me casting to a handful of fish before I don't spook one.... Like Shaun mentioned though the carp are so plentiful that you get another shot within a few minutes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
2catchmore: I can really only comment on shore fishing for carp, but here's a few baits that are proven to work real well on the carp in these waters. However I would highly suspect all of these baits can work just as well from a boat.

---Sweet corn, right out the can, perhaps the #1 go to carp bait - and it's cheap! stuff that corn onto the hook, ensure the hook point is clear and maybe 1/4-1/2 inch down the shank, else, load her up!

--- Dough balls - add flavorings, fruit or your favorite spices - cinnamon works well, chili flakes - you can also add food dye coloring, reds, yellows, orange.

---Boilies - certainly can either order them online or make your own - there are a slew of videos out there online with boilie making info - if you make you own, they will cost less. I would recommend if you are using boilies then fish them with a "hair rig" - check online again for hair rig info.

--- Nightcrawlers, you can never go wrong

--- Crawdads, shrimp, any crustacean you can stuff onto the hook.

You have to remember, carp will eat everything and anything they can fit into their mouths, living, dead, they will eat it. They will take spinning lures, flies, floating bread, or cake, can work real well especially in warm weather when they are cruising the surface.

As has been mentioned already, carp can spook easy, have great eyesight, are darn smart and quickly learn to avoid rigs/baits & presentations that have caught them before. If you want some real fun, fish for carp with a float, bait suspended beneath, that’s one thing I am going to work on in 2014 to chase those carp cruising mid-waters.

Tight-Lines and enjoy your carp captures.

rivrunnr1: darn fine carp capture through the ice – nice ! now that makes me envious as I am yet to catch a carp through the ice, then again, i've only been out once, for 4 hours, and was driven off by a harsh cold wind ! brrrrrr !

dieseldoctor: carp on the fly, a true art and can be real challenging landing them – I respect anyone who flails away with a fly rod in search of those golden beauties!

For now, I am keeping warm, and planning my Carp Quest for 2014, hopefully, few months, weather will warm up, ice will be off and this Brit will once again be out and about, camera in hand!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts