Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"CARP QUEST" video, http://youtu.be/kqZKCXmMl1s
"MY" video, http://youtu.be/2nzaZKkbWNw

I got skunked today, may have had 3 or 4 Nibbles, holes chewed in nightcrawler, "flinching" rod tip, etc. Found a nice looking Drop-Off across the water near the road, no luck. Went back to Elaine Valente to have a couple more "Nibbles" but no fish dinner tonite.....

Is the water too cold? Only saw a couple of splashes all day, last month the lakes had more activity.???

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
If you want carp in numbers, I have a pond/lake in mind with countless carp, all between 12-21 inches... They have overrun the lake and need thinning.

And no, I'm not talking Sloans Lake... Although that one is great for size.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
South Denver.

The water temp needs to be over 55 for a consistent bite on standard baits. If you're using a pack bait without oils, you can still get bit pretty regularly, but oily baits do not disperse well in colder water... Think starchy stuff that breaks apart like white bread or dry dough balls.

Check out Huston Lake between Santa Fe and Federal, south of Alameda. Google map it.

I have had my best success on the south side, but the east side where the rock wall is can deliver as well.

Best success has been on a two hook rig, dropper loops about 2-3 inches long, a foot apart above a 3/4-1 oz sinker (at the bottom)

Weightless crawlers do well, but that lake seems to do better with bready type baits, due to it being a neighborhood lake with ducks and kids.

On the south side, park next to the tennis courts and fish either at the sitting bench under the big tree or between the tennis courts and the playground where the cat tail line stops. There is a concrete "culvert" there---that's how you'll know you're in the right place.

*side note: I have not done well on corn there, but met a fellow who did well using corn soaked in sugar. He didn't speak any English, but I could follow him when he spoke.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Also, the lake I PMed you about a week ago also has good carp... The entire north bank is lousy with em when the wind is from the south.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Hardly anyone fishes it. They stock it once every couple years with random sh** and the pelicans and human pelicans come in and eat up all the fish. Carp is all that's left, and they eat alot of the fish eggs of the few other fish that might last the Winter.

The carp thrive in there... Muddy silty bottom, no structure. The lake is only about 10 feet deep at it's deepest. FCTH has it listed at 6', but I went out on the ice with my flasher and found some deeper water.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hardly anyone fishes it. They stock it once every couple years with random sh** and the pelicans and human pelicans come in and eat up all the fish. Carp is all that's left, and they eat alot of the fish eggs of the few other fish that might last the Winter.

The carp thrive in there... Muddy silty bottom, no structure. The lake is only about 10 feet deep at it's deepest. FCTH has it listed at 6', but I went out on the ice with my flasher and found some deeper water.
Worth checking out, Thanks again Opry!

I can head south to the other place too. Never see many people fishing there either, but the Geese and other birds are coming in

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fisher II, glad you enjoyed (or at least saw/watched it!) the video and gave the Fairgrounds a try for carp. I did return to that venue a few more times, a couple were good trips, a couple were blanks - hey, that's fishing !

As Orpy mentioned it does get harder as the water temps fall. Carp do continue to feed, albeit at greatly reduced rates, in the colder months. You need to switch up tactics, smaller baits, less bait, look to the margins, inlets, places where the water is warmed by the morning sun. The cheapest and easiest way to target them would be with plain sweetcorn on a size 4 to 8 hook, cast out there, worms, flavored dough balls (sweet, spicy, salty) all work well - a multi year old blood ball, perhaps more likely to catch a catfish ?

All debates aside regarding carp populations, fishing for them can be lots of fun, challenging and rewarding. Whilst I am entirely a catch & release angler I did find the video on tenderizing meat by "electrocution" with a 9v battery, interesting. Would this work for other species ? Amazing what some people come up with, inginuity wise !

Yes, an ever increasing number of anglers are targeting carp now across North America. It's becoming crazy popular, love em, or hate them! There are multiple vendors online, and a more tackle stores, stocking and selling gear specifically designed for carp fishing, rods, reels, bite alarms, rod pods, hoos, and of course, baits. Certainly not a joke anymore!

In the most recent Colorado Angler survey, carp are the fish that individual anglers spend the highest average number of days fishing for statewide (49 days a year). I do admit, though I am obviously carp obsessed, I was surprised...

http://www.denverpost.com/outdoors/ci_26010012/theres-no-shame-fishing-carp

PS: Opry, hey there !!! hope all is well with you !!!

I am always happy to "try" to answer any questions regarding carp fishing - though I don't splatter CarpQuest all over ColoradoFisherman, i do lurk...

Tight-Lines,
John
CarpQuest

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John, Thanks for your response! "Carp Point" at the Fairgrounds is known by other anglers also, a fisherman who showed up at Elaine Valente mentioned it, then I saw your video.

I searched Bass Pro Redneck Disney World online for the CC Moore baits and found nothing, I might try ordering online from that Carp fishing dealer. Otherwise, bread and corn for now.

Opry, I hope that the guy with the "sugar dipped Corn" didn't eat all the carp at Huston Lake.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bread & Corn are very effective and will catch you a LOT of carp. The more commercial baits (boilies), I used this year, were in an attempt to weed out the smaller fish and reduce the number of nuisance captures. For me, that would be "trout" on corn based baits. Yes, my average capture size went up, but the amount of fish I caught dropped by over over 50%. Coin-flip there, lots of fish, or larger fish ! Some days, especially the many many blank sessions, I question my sanity. There are a number of US based carp bait manufacturers now and, of course, a plethora of them overseas from Europe. Google search, is your friend ! "Carp Point", an apt name for sure !

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Whatever John says you should take as Carp gospel. He is the "adult in the room" when it comes to carp.

Things are well, John. No carping here yet in Tennessee... Still targeting other species, but I'll get me a few Goldies and will update when I do.

The CQ Facebook page is really taking off!!! Congrats, buddy!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Opry, I do hear Dale Hollow (TN side) is a monster place, with some huge beasts waiting for capture. Yes, CQ has become crazy popular on FB, way beyond anything I could imagine. I reckon the folks tune in to see me drink coffee and watch my dog, Raven, as she grows. Or, more likely, to see the "guests" give me a right session fishing beating, which that Canadian did quite well recently, in revenge for his earlier defeats ! Heck, it's all in good spirit, I just want folks to get out there, go fishing and have fun !

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Yes, Dale Hollow holds the next state record, I believe. My sister owned a house boat on Dale Hollow for a while and my brother in law would tell me of the massive whale-like breachings of the carp there.

That lake is also known MOSTLY for it's smallmouth bass fishery... Arguably the best in the land.

If you ever find your way out here, drop me a line. I would love to drink some coffee and catch some Dale Hollow behemoths-of-the-deep.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts