Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a beginner with fishing but I'm learning asking questions especially to experienced anglers is the best way to learn. What's the deal with carp ? I keep hearing about them being in all the lakes but I never hear anyone fish for them. Why is that ?

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
Mostly because all the other anglers are stuck on catching other species...Carp are GREAT fighters but most people don't eat them...i've caught some big carp...Chatfield has some big #@$ carp...try fishing a slip rig with corn and hold on...Carp can fight!...out east some people like to Bow hunt for carp...i have never tried this but i would love to. :)

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Isnt the world record around 55 pounds? It is a good fish to find out how to land fish on lighter line and practice your fighting skills...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Carp are considered rough fish or trash fish.  So most anglers dont fish for them because of that.  While some cultures consider carp a delicacy in the USA they are generally considered gross.  There is a movement lately about angling for carp.  Alot of people find they fight hard, but I dont really consider it exciting fighting.  They just pull like a mule, I prefer the jumping, shaking, and runs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there such a thing as a topwater lure for carp? I was out at chatty today and saw about a million of these ugly bastards jumping all around me.... some pretty good sized ones even... prob 10lb was the biggest i saw..... I tried fishing with a worm under a strike indicator.... and a worm on the bottom, but i couldnt hook up with anything..... i guess carp have a "sweet tooth" dont they? Should i try marshmellows or some ****? i dunno

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
You could throw some flies to entise them but thats the closet thing I can think of to a topwater lure for carp.... Some things you might want to try marshmellows (although you will probably catch trout instead) corn, dog food, bread.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ive caught carp on the surface with grasshopper flies but that was when i saw them sucking stuff from the surface not jumping

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just my two cents: Carp do fight like mad: not a lot of jumping but runs, shaking, etc. is what I have experienced. Where there are a lot of cottonwood trees, you can catch the carp with a "topwater" bait of a hook thru a cotton ball. when you see the carp sucking cotton from the trees, toss this by them and get ready. Use an OLD fly rod as a good sized carp can tear up your pole quickly. The carp you see jumping all over at Chatty are gearing up to spawn so they aren't really up for eating so much. This is the time to get the bow out and go bowfishing. It really is a blast. IF anybody wants to go out there and stick a few, I sure would like to tag along or show somebody how to do it. Carp are hella fun to catch.

I also have a recipe for canned carp that, although sounds icky, is really tasty. Lots like canned salmon. Interested? Let me know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Carp used to be the thing we fish for. We used a lot of different baits like corn meal cooked with water and a little bit of salt and sugar. Cooke the meal til it is possible to form it like clay. Ad flavors like vanilla, honey, custard and work that into the cooked corn meal balls. Cover your hook with a piece so that it look like a teardrop. Also use caned corn the hole kernel kind, put that on your hook like you would do with salmon eggs. What also worked is brown bread mixed with egg yellow and kneed into round balls. I will post a pic of how to set up your hooks if any body is interested

·
Registered
124 Posts
The biggest carp I have landed was Aabout twenty pounds from chatfield, but am looking to learn to fly fish for them over the summer. Bigeer average size than union wipers and have to deal with less people trageting the same species.

·
Registered
902 Posts
got a 15lber at sawhill 1b a week ago going for cats. On 6lb test, took an easy 5 min. It realy had my hopes up for a little..... :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
I personally like to fish for carp. Great game fish, not much to eat. I found a great spot out at cherry creek to fish for them. Wait till the spillway is closed and drop ur line in front of that tower and watch out. Same story 6-8 pound test line and 15lb carp. great fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was researching them on the internet and found that the Government actually brought them over from Europe during the depression as a food source. In like 50 years they were in most waters in America. Funny what we now consider trash was actually a food source. I guess my grandfather ate squirrels too though.
I’m going to target them at Chatfield this year.

Do they make good Catfish Bait?

·
Registered
90 Posts
carp here r a blast ive caught 2 with a lil rattle trap 1 was 15lbs or so on 4lb test took me 15 to 20 mins to land.the other was mabey 18 lbs or bigger this time same lure 6lb test thing ran me around the pond. was fishn r bass 2 got a bunch but no size. but the carp they pull great r sum good fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good question, I'm gonna start targeting Catfish the end of this month. Does anyone know if Carp make good catfish bait ? Any good recepies on how to "cure" them ?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Carp are indeed good catfish bait. You can just cut them into chunks and bait up a chunk on a 2/0 to 5/0 hook depending on the size of the chunk and the size of the catfish you think are out there. You can also just cut a strip out of the side about the size of a night crawler and bait your hook with that. Leave the skin on and put the hook through the skin and it will stay on the hook better.

As far as "curing", forget it. Catfish like the fresh, raw fish just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts