Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished today with the boy from 4:00-5:15 at Sloan's Lake on Sheridan. We were fishing for carp and using three rods. Two rods were Carolina rigged, the third was rockin' a bobber with 2 feet of line beneath it.

We used bread balls, all from 89 cent hamburger buns.

Fished the windblown end of the lake today, wind picked up a few times and the sun was in and out... overall it was a chilly trip.

Had three verifiable bites, one hooked himself and took off... Being that he hooked himself and started ripping line, I neglected to drive the hook home... He freed himself halfway to shore.

All in all, a fun day... Angry at myself for not driving the hookset home and landing the fish, cuz it was a big one... On my MH catfish rod, it was bending the rod tip down and taking drag. My fault... live and learn.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Good work owen and son! Crappity March is almost over...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I don't think I ever fished that lake. It was one of those crappy lakes that are just a little far, compared to other crappy lakes in my old neighborhood. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sloans is one of the better carp fisheries in Denver. Size and numbers. I hope people release the big ones and keep the small ones for food or bait or whatever... That's what I do. That lake will never be a superb catfish, bass, or crappie lake. Its too shallow and there is very little structure. Its primary function is to be a free boating lake in metro Denver. Carp thrive there, though... I hope it will stay a strong carp fishery, for those times you just want to go catch a slimy freak-show. (No offense intended John COspgs)

John and I share a love for carp fishing... The difference is, I think carp make cheap plentiful bait. ;)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Sloans is one of the better carp fisheries in Denver. Size and numbers. I hope people release the big ones and keep the small ones for food or bait or whatever... That's what I do. That lake will never be a superb catfish, bass, or crappie lake. Its too shallow and there is very little structure. Its primary function is to be a free boating lake in metro Denver. Carp thrive there, though... I hope it will stay a strong carp fishery, for those times you just want to go catch a slimy freak-show. (No offense intended John COspgs)

John and I share a love for carp fishing... The difference is, I think carp make cheap plentiful bait. ;)
I used to like carp fishing. I grew up in France where big carps are fine trophy fish. And I was born in Asia where they are fine table fare. True story: when I was 9 or 10 I went on a fishing trip with my dad and a group of other Asians. The whole group only caught 1 big carp, so it was decided that my father, who was the oldest man there, would divide up the fish among the anglers that were there. He gave the head to the guy who caught it. That person, who was younger than my dad, initially objected to receiving the head. But my dad said that he should be getting the head because he caught. That head symbolizes his ownership of the fish according to old customs. The difference between you two and me is that I have had carp before. ;)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

Are there still any cats in there?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts