Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As is usual where kids are involved, we started the day late, around 2PM. The weather was very strange, first rainy and windy, then sunny and calm and everything in between. Matt and I decided to concentrate on trolling first while it was a bit rainy. I have to admit my cheapness -- I just can't bring myself to buy my son his own raingear so when the rain came up, he looked like this:

On the other hand, he enjoyed trying to find the head and arm holes in the thing a lot more than he would have wearing some more traditional raingear... (that's what I'm telling myself, anyway). Needless to say, we did not do any good trolling and boat control was a real challenge in the high winds.

I have no idea why, but he kept saying that he was worried a tornado was coming. I said, "No Matt, you can clearly see the blue skies ahead. When this little rain storm passes, we will be just fine." Even at 5 years old, I could hear him thinking, "Yea, right, Dad. You're skill at reading weather is not anything for me to aspire to..."

When the rain passed, we decided to use the Minnkota and cast along the shoreline. I was using stickbaits along the points and caught this walleye (released):

I have a confession to make. When I am catching a fish, I lose all contact with everything else. As I was bringing this fish in, Matt was saying, "Dad, Daad, DAAAAD!!!" and to my disappointment, I turned my head to him just in time to see my other pole slip out of its holder and into the water. I guess I need a new leadcore rig now. :-[ So this ended up being a very expensive fish, but it was fun nonetheless.

Just two casts later, I lost the lure I was using and nothing else seemed to be as effective. So we spent the rest of the day goofing off and enjoying the time on the water. Matt spotted a deer while we were loading the boat back up and he wanted me to make sure I got a picture of it:

Even though I, like most, have seen hundreds of deer, I still have a fascination for seeing wildlife around when they are blending into the scenery and you just barely notice them. I took this picture after we had already startled him.

We had a good day and it was just what I needed to break up the work week. Hope everybody gets out there when they are able to.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
work2fish.... raconteur extraordinaire.... buyer of inefficient rod holders....

great story, I liked it....

any truth to the rumor that the little joint at the entrance to Carter is going to become a Hooter's?

;D

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walking Eagle said:
work2fish.... raconteur extraordinaire.... buyer of inefficient rod holders....

great story, I liked it....

any truth to the rumor that the little joint at the entrance to Carter is going to become a Hooter's?

;D
I go with the theory that crappy rod holders save my boat from much worse damage :D

I like your idea about the Roadhouse becoming a Hooters. Heck, have you ever been in there? The last time I was, the "atmosphere" was at least as good ;)

Cheers, W.E.

·
Registered
636 Posts
That sucks you lost your pole. I lost one there when I was younger but it was my foot that knock it in and not a fish.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
That is a great day fishing, imagine when he gets older and has kids of his own........telling how he and "grandpa went fishing at Carter one day and the weather was bad, you lost a pole etc"

Those are the things memories are made of!

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts