Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the east side of Carter Lake on the night of May 26th. its only about 20 minutes from my house, so i figured what the heck. i got there around dark and took a short look around since i havnt actually been there in about 20 years and ive never fished it. the water was down a little, but the terrain on that side of the lake looked like it might be an ok area for walleyes at night...sandy bottom, with enough rocks and other bottom structure to provide cover for baitfish and what not. I started working my way downshore with a dark jig tipped with a leech, on my first cast i had a pretty good bump, and then about 5 minutes later hooked a fish right at my feet. i didnt get a real good look at it before i lost it, but it looked like a walleye of about 16 inches or so. as it got darker i had a few lighter hits, but nothing serious. by then lots of fish were working the surface, but im not sure what they were...stocker trout maybe? there were some big ones rolling around out there, so i tied on a small floating rapala and threw that for awhile...with no luck. my buddy fishing downshore from me caught a small 8 inch walleye, but that was about it. we left at about 11pm and went down to Lonetree to take a look and see how that was doing, but when we got there we found the water was high...almost to the top of the boat ramp, so we decided to head over to Union and hit that before we called it quits. Union was quiet, for once i didnt see anyone out there fishing---which is rare this time of year. we threw Rat-L-Traps and bounced jigs there, but with no luck. ive seen a lot of fish caught at Union at night, but all on bait...ive never had much luck with artificials at night there. strange, because i can usually do ok there during the day with either plugs, plastics, or flies. at night though---nothing. anyways we called it quits at about 2am and headed home....not skunked, but pretty close to it. either way it was a nice evening, fairly warm with an awesome moonrise...im not complaining....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had quite a bit of luck flat line trolling for trout at Carter. There are also quite a few kokanee in there as well. The surface action was almost certainly trout. I was there a few weeks ago and kept a few stocker trout. One of the ones I kept had a stomach that was quite full, and when I cleaned it I found bugs, bugs, morre bugs, leaves, burrs, and mroe bugs. I'm guessing if you're looking to get some fish on a fly on the surface, you could absolutely clean up there at the right time of the day/night.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts