Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fished carter lake lastnight and the night before and got skunked both times. It was the first time I had ever fished it. Both nights I fished it very late at night hoping for walleye. I tried a ton of different lures from small to massive. Although I didn't catch I am going to keep going back until it rewards me. Seems like a cool fishery regardless. Decided to try the Poudre today for the first time. I drove up the canyon with my buddy around noon and pulled off at a good looking spot. I started out with a hopper dropper consisting of a basic hopper and a golden stone and never took it off. Within a couple hours I was into double digits. Saw tons of fish all over. Lots of risers as well. Nothing big but tons of fun. My buddy fished a caddis and did well with it, too. It seems like it would be a great place to learn how to fly fish. I was very impressed with the fishing, scenery and overall feel of the poudre. It's like cheesman and clear creek mixed together. Plus there is SO MUCH WATER. I love it and I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time there until ice season. Every fish was a brown except for one bow. Got a couple pics...can't wait to go back.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Poudre Canyon is one of my favorite canyons around. SO pretty! Nice catches by the way. I've spent some time at Carter in the colder months fishing for trout. Here are a couple I've caught from the bank there:

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Carter is tough from shore. I've had luck throwing raps for good sized trout. Never had any luck on the fly though. So maybe throw some streamers?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am actually kind of new to fly fishing. Any suggestions for trying Poudre?
The poudre is ridiculously easy in the canyon. There are tons of fish and I think they receive very little pressure because there's so much water. Fish the slow water (pockets, banks/undercuts, etc) where fish can use little energy and feed. With a decent pair of polarized glasses you'll be able to see a lot of the fish. Buy yourself a couple hoppers with a decent amount of foam that you know will float well and for long periods of time. Then get a couple nymphs. Try the popular generic stuff in beadhead form like different colored copper johns, pheasant tails, prince nymphs, stone flies, etc. Get them in sizes like 12-16. Tie on your hopper and then tie about 18 inches of line to the bend in the hopper hook and attach yor nymph. 5x tippet is fine. I'll usually fish. A 7.5ft leader with a couple feet of tippet to start out with. It's still been hot and everywhere you walk in the canyon you disperse grasshoppers. My hopper pattern and my nymphs both got nailed over and over. The hopper-dropper setup is one of the most effective and easy rigs to fish, ESPECIALLY at the poudre. You can also try generic dries like elk hair caddis and para Adams. (Size 12-16 should do)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts