Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this moment there is a forest fire burning at Carter Lake and a mandatory evacuation going on for all homes in the area. The high school at Berthoud is open to receive evacuees. My son and his buddy were working on an old car near Lon Hagler res. late this afternoon and they saw the fire start in the hills looking up towards Carter. It was about 50 acres then and is up to about 100 acres now due to the high winds. There are lots of fire trucks and emergency vehicles converging on the scene, so stay away.

We can see an orange glow on the skyline from my place which is maybe 7 miles away as the crow flies.

W. E.

Hmmm.....
There must be some way to blame the DOW for this....

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
scorpion_bsk said:
Bummer deal! Does anyone have any ideas how it started? Natural or human stupidity or accident??
I'd say the usual culprit, lightning, would be out of the question at this time of year, but nobody knows yet. You can always hear the standard speculations from the TV people, because they always think they have to say something. So take your pick - teenage kids, campers, fireworks, arson, Walking Eagle's smoking spinning-reel.........

·
Registered
935 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
Hmmm.....
There must be some way to blame the DOW for this....
;D

Maybe if they unloaded truckloads of stocker trout onto the fire, they could put it out, or at least produce a lot of smoked trout.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I live just south of there an could acually see the flames at point .Glad no one got hurt or lost a home. If it would have been the day before I dont think that would have been the case. the wind was un believable at our place. blew over my neighbors steel shelter for his cows. we lost a lot shingles off the roof.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Maybe a careless smoker threw a hot butt out into the grass? I've noticed smokers don't seem to be too concerned about their butts, just drop or throw them out the car windows. Don't cars have ashtrays anymore?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Maybe it was a female forest ranger upset with her boyfriend and burned his break up letter?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cutthroat said:
Maybe a careless smoker threw a hot butt out into the grass? I've noticed smokers don't seem to be too concerned about their butts, just drop or throw them out the car windows. Don't cars have ashtrays anymore?
This has been a pet peeve of mine. I guess word didn't get out that throwing butts out the window in Colorado is punishable by a fine of up to $1000 and a year in jail! I drive about 30 miles every day and see at least one or two people throw one out. Too bad that shooting paint guns from inside a moving vehical is also illegal.

·
Registered
935 Posts
During 2002, I watched a guy get out of a van, pick up a smoking cigarette butt, and stuff it back into the cracked window of a truck where a woman sitting on the passenger side had just dropped it out. She looked shocked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts