Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to sound redundent gentelmen but this report may sound a bit like my previous. I arrived at the reservoir close to 9:00 am only to be greeted by the punishing Carter winds. After surveying the lake and refering to my map I'm guessing the lake is about 100 feet below full pool. It appears that Larimer County is doing some sort of grading and excavation near dam 1 on the inside section by the water. I started by the south boat ramp which is now about 200 ft. from the shore and the low levels created three coves in this area. If you check out this part of the lake be sure to wear waders or hip boots because the shoreline is about 20 ft. of soft silt and mud, there are no longer any rocks to stand on. With the wind and mud I did not last long on this side so I proceded to the dam. For close to an hour I casted a 1/4 ounce clown finish kastmaster in hopes for any spawning salmon. Slowly letting the lure sink to bottom then twitching it back I did manage to get only one hit, most likely a trout. Although there were some trout cruising a mud line in the water very close to shore I did not land any. I would recomend for any one who fishes this lake to check it out because it will give a great sense of what the bottom features are when there is higher water, plus less water means the fish are more highly concentrated.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i was at carter friday afternoon, i worked the whole length of dam 1 , no kokes , none spotted either , last year at this time there was a decent number of kokes, the lake is real slow, the ranger told me that the dow netted some spawners , he said they wouldent say were they got um, makes me alittle mad id really to get some at carter

B

·
0 Posts
Thinking of hit Carter Friday from my borther boat and do sdome trolling any suggestions for this place.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not own a boat and have never fished there from a boat. When I am fishing I do seem to notice that the boaters troll within fifty yards parallel to the shore. Like I stated before the lake is way down so be carefull for unmarked water hazards. I must say that the water is also very clear so identification should'nt be to bad at trolling speeds. In addition, work these fish as slow as your patience will let you. Good luck and let all of us know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts