Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with them? I know there are alot of them in there.

Male Splake take on the awesome color of their Brook trout parents but are alot bigger!!! I want one on the wall!

·
Registered
324 Posts
i killed them in feb and april this year on the s.w. side of the lake using orange PB night crawlers and salmon eggs from shore i have been back a couple of times this summer but got skunked each time

D

·
0 Posts
I remember a newspaper story from a few years ago about a fellow who thought he had a new state record brook trout from Carter until the DNA testing determined it to be a splake. Something in the 7.5-8 lb. range if I remember right. It was taken in the fall from shore and was reported to be in full spawning colors. I think the theory is that they come shallow in the Fall trying to spawn in Carter.

Don't know any more details. (Man, I retain a lot of useless trivia.)

D

·
0 Posts
Neal-

This is what a Yahoo search turned up from a website called www.highbeam.com. The link to the page I found is http://www.highbeam.com/library/doc0.asp?docid=1P1:23920059&refid=ink_tptd_np&skeyword=&teaser=

To get the rest of the article you have to pay, I think. Maybe this is enough detail to allow you to track down the rest of the info.

Ed Dentry; Denver Rocky Mountain News Outdoors Writer
Denver Rocky Mountain News
11-03-1999
RECORD-BREAKING CATCH LEAVES FISHY TASTE

Greg Hodge was certain he had broken Colorado's longest-standing fish record when he tussled the 7-pound, 10 3/4-ounce brook trout from Carter Lake on Oct. 22. Now he wonders whether the fish, which wore glorious fall spawning colors, was a brook trout at all.
Or some man-made imposter, a splake, the object of cruel mistaken identity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts