Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a report yesterday that a DOW officer had a very busy night at Carter a few days ago.
Seems that the walleye anglers up there were thinking they could ignore the one fish 16-20
inches long daily bag limit. Wrong.................................

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Go get 'em, DOW. The walleye population in Carter should be protected from poachers at all costs -- and that's not only because it's a lake that I regularly fish ;) Glad to see them out there checking!

·
Registered
514 Posts
i really think they should post the new size limits at all the entrances. its not even on the carter lake web site and its not in any of the informational brocures that they have at the gates. i know its our job to know the rules at the waters we fish but they could help out a little bit. they dont even post it in the dow fishing reports like they do for horsetooth. i almost think they are trying to use this as a source of revenue by ticketing people. i respect the limit at carter and am happy with my 1 fish. keeps my wife happy too cause i am not out fishing all night but every year i loose a little more respect for the DOW. take this new stupid $5 habitat stamp for example. they told me (and this is at the DOW office) that you even have to have one for hiking. WTF!

end rant

happy fishing all.

G

·
The habitat stamp is ok by me ESPECIALLY if hikers and others have to get one. They use the areas just like we do. I don't see how they can enforce it with the few officers they have.

·
Registered
514 Posts
thats my point exactly. i am all for everybody chipping in to make it better out there but the fishermen are being taxed so they can put in new hiking trails. unless the person behind the DOW counter was a tard and explaned it to me wrong (i made him repeat it twice and my wife is a witness). i just dont see how they can enfoce it. my whole point is everything they do is pretty vague. i see a lot of posts on this board from people trying to clarify the CDOW rules and regs.

G

·
dave110man said:
thats my point exactly. i am all for everybody chipping in to make it better out there but the fishermen are being taxed so they can put in new hiking trails. unless the person behind the DOW counter was a tard and explaned it to me wrong (i made him repeat it twice and my wife is a witness). i just dont see how they can enfoce it. my whole point is everything they do is pretty vague. i see a lot of posts on this board from people trying to clarify the CDOW rules and regs.
Dave - I have to be honest...as vague as some regulations may be, I have a lot of respect for the DOW folks - more so than for the State Park folks. At any tackle store you can pick up a copy of the property directory for free. It's even available for free on the internet. This will give you the regulations for every property in Colorado that may have a quirk. I have a copy in the boat and I have a copy in the map compartment of the truck.

As far as the habitat stamp - I say kudos. I know it's a pain, but I've seen abuse at these areas more than once. Examples...

-At Jackson SWA, I've seen water skiers set up a party tent with a keg for the day. Hardly what the DOW intended with relation to a "wildlife area".
-At Prewitt SWA the local sherriff has to patrol for drug activity and meth labs because the DOW couldn't enforce the area
-At Jeanne K Toole I've seen poaching and drug dealing

Personally, I think hikers should be required to buy the optional search and rescue insurance that we have to subsidize on our licenses. It's usually the hikers that use these funds and not the fishermen or hunters that pay for it. There have been many articles in the Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News about this.

The fishermen aren't paying for new trails, they're paying for stepped up enforcement and habitat to support the places we enjoy visiting. Colorado Lottery dollars are paying for the trials.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i just want it posted at the water thats all. i have fished there for years and dont check the regs every year. i am not the only one either. everyone i have talked to fishing there had no clue to the new rules. i am sure all of the fishermen there would be happy to abide by them if they just knew about them. the dow guys just love to catch a bad guy though. just ask them and they will tell you it makes their day punishing that scum. i have personally experience them trying to make something out of nothing on more then one occasion. with me they will always find nothing but i wish they would be a bit nicer about it. not all of them are bad i have met a few really nice ones. i think its the young newer ones that got rejected from the police force that have problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts