Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
How far - I usually try to pick a spot that I want my bait to be, and I throw to that spot rather than think about how far.

Weight - I normally don't go over 3/4 or 1 oz. of weight unless it's a swift river current that sweeps my bait back to the bank. My dad used to fish for cats in the Missouri river which has a very strong current, and his sinker was the cluster gear out of an old Chevy pickup transmission! :D :D

And sometimes he couldn't get it to hold in the current! :D :D :D

Length of rod -- I use the same rod for cats as I do for wipers. An 8 foot surf rod with a big spinning reel and 20# mono line.

For me, that's fairly heavy tackle, but you know how catfishermen hate to lose a fish.

W. E.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Well if you are fishing for cats most of the time, or a lot of the time, then I think you are justified in getting specialized tackle that is just for catfishing. In that case you would get some pretty heavy stuff. In my case the catfishing time is more in the minority so that's why I use more general purpose tackle. But I can definitely appreciate the guys who concentrate on the cats, because I came from a line of people who did the same.

W. E.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I think I can see where this is going...

Big tackle, big bait, big hooks ---------------- big fish

I think you've got something there...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
fishingkats said:
i have even bought her fishing stuff for christmas
and now she doesnt let me use it
she tells me i have to wait till she uses it a few times
well she hasnt used any of it yet
ha ha, that's a good one, makes me laugh.

One time my wife told me she was buying me a new sewing machine for Christmas. So I told her I was getting her a new outboard motor. It never happened, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts