Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YO! So I've been fishing for quite some time now, and I still haven't figured out how to cast light tackle further. I have a couple of poles set with 6 lb test and can on get it out 30-40'. I'm been trying to research this lately but haven't come up with anything useful. Could you fellas help me out?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
What kind of gear Chris? Closed face reel or open face under the rod spin reel?

Also the distance you can cast depends a great deal on the weight of the lure.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
It all depends on your set up, and ultra light set up is going to throw light tackle much further than a medium light or something heavier

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Nano with a floro leader will cast a country mile...even light stuff...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Casting is an art and although having the right rod, line, lure etc. can help with distance you should become cognizant of the way in which you have learned to cast...... fine tuning your cast could make a huge difference and see many anglers just rear back and muscle their lure out their......... casting further with lighter tackle takes finesse and how you cast should be considered........ even if it's a small tweak this can make all the difference in the world

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just bought a 6'6" browning air stream rod with a Pflueger President 6925. I took it out and tried a light blue fox. Got it out a little further than what I was using but not as far as I need/like. I have 4lb trilene XL.

I was using a rod and reel that was set-up for 6lb and above before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have to give that a shot. What about rooster tails? They have less weight and I can't cast those damn things for anything.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I often throw 1/4 oz. spoons on 6lb. mono. Rarely am I out-cast. Even by fools throwing their expensive Nano! On 4lb it'll sail till you run out of line.

Not much of a spinner guy.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
I often throw 1/4 oz. spoons on 6lb. mono. Rarely am I out-cast. Even by fools throwing their expensive Nano! On 4lb it'll sail till you run out of line.

Not much of a spinner guy.
Lol light stuff will go at least a third further, more sensitive, no stretch for a better hook set...a spoon might not flutter down as well since the braid is thinner...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Well I just bought a 6'6" browning air stream rod with a Pflueger President 6925. I took it out and tried a light blue fox. Got it out a little further than what I was using but not as far as I need/like. I have 4lb trilene XL.

I was using a rod and reel that was set-up for 6lb and above before.
It looks like the air streams are all ultra light too, correct? The pflueger president is a good reel but I'm not sure it would be choice in throwing light lures. I have never really used mine for light tackle, hobie may have more input he uses the presidents a lot. Like mentioned above braid usually allows further castability, you could try light braid and fishing a leader. How far exactly are you looking to cast? I don't think any of my set ups cast as far as I'd "like" :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may have to look at braid for future use. I don't have a boat so all of my fishing is done from shore. I'm somewhere between 40-60' casts right now. I would like to get maybe to 80'. Sometimes the fish are little farther than I like them to be :(

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I may have to look at braid for future use. I don't have a boat so all of my fishing is done from shore. I'm somewhere between 40-60' casts right now. I would like to get maybe to 80'. Sometimes the fish are little farther than I like them to be :(
Hate to tell you, but when you can cast 80'... the fish will be at 90'... the nature of the shore fishing beast.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'll have to give that a shot. What about rooster tails? They have less weight and I can't cast those damn things for anything.
I'm a panther martin/kasty guy. If I caught the hogs slayer does, I would likely go up to 6 ld test. of course you need to know what your rod and reel are rated for. light to ultra light tackle is needed for small lures and light line.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts