Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so last night a little after dark at massey draw the wind kicked up, put a good bit of waves crashing into shore, moon was shining, seemed like the perfect evening to look for walleye...of course I got skunked again because I clearly don't know a damn thing about walleye fishing. but try as i might I couldn't even get my heavy jerk baits (5/8oz I think is the heaviest) to fly more than 20 feet. tried to keep em low, tried to be smooth. what's the trick to casting into the wind?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
8lb-12 nano, fast action rod, practice and understanding that eyes at night should be within 15' of shore, so casting far can help, but casting precise and staying connected to your bait is more important.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the precise was a freaking disaster. I spent so much time getting untangled and figuring out where the heck that last one went that I just about gave up.

does the nano really make a difference over my usual 6lb mono? how so?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
the precise was a freaking disaster. I spent so much time getting untangled and figuring out where the heck that last one went that I just about gave up.

does the nano really make a difference over my usual 6lb mono? how so?
yes it does make a huge difference not only with less friction coming off the spool but less stretch and more sensitivity. I switched a couple years ago and I wont go back to mono.

you dont realize what you are missing until yo make the switch!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I second the huge difference. If you use nano for fishing shallow walleyes I'd definitely tie and a 10-14# flouro leader. Nano is not very abrasion resistant.

Once you start using braided/super lines you'll realize that mono is just inferior. It has it's applicaitons, but the super lines are just more versatile.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
am I going to want it on there for all of my other general fishing? I don't love the idea of changing line for every application.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Don't feel bad. Felt like 30 mph winds where I went too. The guy parked next to me caught 11. All before the wind and myself showed up of course. He said the bite disappeared once the wind started going. Hopefully it won't be so bad tonight.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
am I going to want it on there for all of my other general fishing? I don't love the idea of changing line for every application.
Here's the thing, everything has it's place. If you use Nanofil on spinning rods, it's just another edge/advantage you give yourself. Would you spool it onto a baitcaster? Not likely. But for general spinning applications, it's great stuff.

I also second what Dakota said. You will most certainly want to use a fluorocarbon leader with that stuff if you're walleye fishing. For a couple of reasons, but definitely because Nano isn't abrasion resistant at all.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
One other thing, depending on the jerkbaits you were using, some are actually made for casting distance with a weight transfer system.

Rogues work great for walleyes, but man, they barely cast worth a damn when it's NOT windy.

I like Xraps in the wind...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't feel bad. Felt like 30 mph winds where I went too. The guy parked next to me caught 11. All before the wind and myself showed up of course. He said the bite disappeared once the wind started going. Hopefully it won't be so bad tonight.
I was there before the wind, after the wind, during the wind.
tried creek the other day "go to the dam, there are great walleye there" says the world...."nope" says I :)
my only consolation (of sorts) is that it didn't seem that anyone was catching so maybe we were all in the wrong spot. the good news was that although it was windy it was totally pleasant. nice temp, nothing a little goretex couldn't defeat. enjoyable evening just nothing coming home for dinner with me.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One other thing, depending on the jerkbaits you were using, some are actually made for casting distance with a weight transfer system.

Rogues work great for walleyes, but man, they barely cast worth a damn when it's NOT windy.

I like Xraps in the wind...
when can I hire you for a lesson?

I had a couple husky jerks - firetiger floating, rattling perch suspending
couple bass pro cheapies, suspending silver and suspending blood head silver.
box full of other stuff that mostly didn't get tried. I'm a sucker for buying new stuff, but I feel like I've got most of what a person needs and I should learn better with what I have before I go buying more.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I was there before the wind, after the wind, during the wind.
tried creek the other day "go to the dam, there are great walleye there" says the world...."nope" says I :)
my only consolation (of sorts) is that it didn't seem that anyone was catching so maybe we were all in the wrong spot. the good news was that although it was windy it was totally pleasant. nice temp, nothing a little goretex couldn't defeat. enjoyable evening just nothing coming home for dinner with me.
Creek does have great fish....nearly impossible to catch great fish. Creek is a bit rough right now anyway, as the shad are all over the dam. Catch 22, that lake is loaded with filthy, stank ass shad...thus, all fish in that lake are typically big (even the small fish are fat as hell). So they're typically fat and happy in there.

There's a window between the shad spawn and the shad hatch when you have a chance. Be ready for it. Cuz after the hatch.... smh...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
There's some great info on this thread... seriously, this is the type of stuff that this site is most useful for... Ever notice that the real political idiots don't help or post on anything fishing?

Anyways, take in what was taught here.. it's a lot of useful stuff.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
when can I hire you for a lesson?

I had a couple husky jerks - firetiger floating, rattling perch suspending
couple bass pro cheapies, suspending silver and suspending blood head silver.
box full of other stuff that mostly didn't get tried. I'm a sucker for buying new stuff, but I feel like I've got most of what a person needs and I should learn better with what I have before I go buying more.
You know where to find me. Just hit me up sometime. :thumb:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's some great info on this thread... seriously, this is the type of stuff that this site is most useful for... Ever notice that the real political idiots don't help or post on anything fishing?

Anyways, take in what was taught here.. it's a lot of useful stuff.
I agree, great stuff. I'd love to meet and fish with more of you. it's been an absolute pleasure to get into fishing over the last year-ish and have great info presented in a genuine helpful manner.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so question on nano in the dark - one of the issues I had last night was that I couldn't tell when the lure touched down (or honestly where) so the wind ripped off a bunch more line and then it invariably blew over into the rocks and tangled me up. I tried casting and flipping the bale faster to prevent that but still I ended up tangled plenty. I partially fish with the cheaper jerks because of that. I'm done losing $12 lures on the third cast of their life. How do I fish those rocky places with nano in the dark and keep from breaking it because of abrasion (other than the leader)?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Zman doesn't post from work, but felt compelled to make sure you know to use a length of 12-14lb fluoro for leader because it's stiff and eliminates tangles.

He is a wise man! well, kinda! ROFL

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
so question on nano in the dark - one of the issues I had last night was that I couldn't tell when the lure touched down (or honestly where) so the wind ripped off a bunch more line and then it invariably blew over into the rocks and tangled me up. I tried casting and flipping the bale faster to prevent that but still I ended up tangled plenty. I partially fish with the cheaper jerks because of that. I'm done losing $12 lures on the third cast of their life. How do I fish those rocky places with nano in the dark and keep from breaking it because of abrasion (other than the leader)?
Practice with $4 lures ;)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts