Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I've almost always used a spin cast reel or fly rod while fishing (except when i bust out the garcia for Muskie or Sturgeon)... I'm looking to put together a nice bass casting combo and was looking for some line/reel/rod combos that are tried and true.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Personally, I'm pretty partial to my Quantum Energy PT's. I really like the feel and the smooth action. I use them on 7' MH one piece Ugly Sticks for easy pitching and flippin for bass. As for line, I use Big Game 15 pound. It's great for pulling thru brush and undercover and not so heavy that it'll slow down a jig all that much.

Good luck to ya and happy bassin!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quantum makes good reels, I haveone myself. But the best baitcaster I've ever owned by far is a Shimano Curado. Great gears, bearings and they seem to last forever. Not the cheapest out there but you get what you pay for. As for rods, I like a 1 piece IM7 medium-fast action.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice... The hunt will continue those quantums might win out

M

·
0 Posts
I like Abu Garcia. The 5500 and the 6500 are pretty nice. They're durabale and I've never had a problem with them (have had problems with other freshwater baitcasting reels). They are old school and a bit pricey but worth it.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I too like the Abu Garcia 5500 and the 6500. Ive caught 30lb Salmon on my 6500, great real.

Id say if this is your first baitcaster to start inexpensive. Most people get frustraed with them and regret spening all that money on them. I have a Gander mnt guide series that didnt cost very much and works great. Might want to give that a try.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Yeah I'm a spin guy and didnt much have the patience for the steep learning curve, not 100% sure if the reel I got was deffective, or me that was deffective, but I sent it back. Kept getting bad backlash, loved the feel of the lefthanders, but again no patience for gear that has a tendency to screw up. I got a avocet and an im7 for the same price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a abu 6500 on my muskie rod but i was looking for something lighter to work on bass. maybe my question should be more geared to line and reel combos that work for tossing bass lures...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use a Pfleuger Trion on a St Croix 6'6" med lite action rod with 8 or 10lb fire line and this combo works great for bass and walleye for me. each to his own but that is my preferance. reel runs around 100.00 and rod is around 80.00

M

·
0 Posts
longlost said:
i have a abu 6500 on my muskie rod but i was looking for something lighter to work on bass. maybe my question should be more geared to line and reel combos that work for tossing bass lures...
One of my 5500's is strung with 12 lb Spider Line. It's what I fish with the most when I fish for walleye - tough line, thin, casts no problem. I've caught a lot of wiper, smallmouth, largemouth, and catfish on that reel as well. You should have no problem fishing with it for bass. I can cast anything from a light jig to a heavy Kastmaster or Rattle Trap without any problem.

I have a 6500 strung with 30 lb spider line than doesn't get used as much and I have two other Garcia bait casters set up for different purposes as well. The nice thing about that reel is once you get proficient at casting it, you can pull the spool out and remove either one or both of the brakes that are put in to prevent backlash (little white bushings attached to the pins at the end of the spool). I don't advise you do it if you don't feel comfortable about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts