Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a local lake Sasturday and landed a #8.5 catfish. Is that a common size or above average ?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
8 pounders are not exactly rare or anything, but the fact is you'll catch a lot more 2 - 3 pounders in most waters.

There is one exception, and that is if the lake was stocked a few times in the past but it is not stocked now. Then all the remaining cats will be big ones.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is kind of what I thought, but was told I can catch them all day at Cherry Creek.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
U can catch some big ones at cherry creek, lol i dont know about all day. Last year one of the guys at sportsmen caught one around 15lbs i think if i remember right. One night i was out there last year on the dam, another dude had one around 15-20 lbs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This lake was last stocked in the mid to late 90's from what has been  told to me. I will be back. I also brought in a nice #4 + walleye.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I agree with W.E. Your average size cat is around 2-3 pounds. They grow very fast though and can reach 10lbs+ in a few years. I think that they naturally reproduce pretty successfully as well.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
my average cat lately has been about 18 or 19.....ounces. last year i didnt catch any that were decent...but this year ill try it again, im hoping its warmer and the water conditions are a little bit better where i fish.

my goal this year is to break 15 lbs. or at least beat lasts years record of 19 ounces...

Last year we were going to try to get some members out on an un official catfish outing to a local lake...maybe we can make it happen this year? very few of my friends catfish (what a bunch of snobs) and im sick of sitting out in the dark alone so im looking forward to a group outing....

·
Registered
902 Posts
Seen that old post researching catfishing. I'm down for a trip w/ a few from the site. Just clue me in when they start feeding, i have been unsucessfull in my first two attempts this year-
p.s. i'll bring the jug and the hank ;)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
when they get going i vote for a brush hollow catfish night trip

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey count me in on a night cat fishing trip. Would be great to get together with people from here.. I cought a couple of nice ones last year at Chatfield One was just shy of 4lbs while the other was right at 2lbs.. Both within 30mins of each other in the same spot..

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Well there was talk of doing it last year at Barr Lake....but the areas i usually fish didnt drop in water depth until late....and i didnt have much luck last year there. perhaps this year we can give it a try in the late june/july/august time frame...i too would like to get out there with some other people...the fishing isnt fast and furious, but after recieving some instruction (from Don, back in the early days of the forum) i did manage to catch some nice ones out there....to include some in the 12-14 lb range. It would be a good place to try i think. well have to wait and see unless someone else has any ideas?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Yeah, thats an idea...if we can get people to do the drive. i did it last year and had the bad timing of hitting it during the annual wind and lightning festival, so i didnt do too good....but the reports that come out of there are usually very good.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
im going to be doing most of my night fishing this year out at neenoshe
i already have a 5# this year so far but thats a small one
and there is nothing like fighting a big wiper in the middle of the night when catfishing

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok guys you are driving me nuts... Im ready to leave work right now and go do some night fishing... :eek: If any one is iterested I have Tues and Wed nights off if they want to go out over the next couple of nights let me know.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
C-Bass said:
Ok guys you are driving me nuts... Im ready to leave work right now and go do some night fishing...  :eek: If any one is iterested I have Tues and Wed nights off if they want to go out over the next couple of nights let me know.
With this cold front pushing threw its going to shut down the catfish bite at night. IMO.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You are probaly right about the cold front. But nothing beats sitting out at night and looking at those stars and waiting for that bell to jingle weather I get somthing or not..

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I've been doing it wrong, been sitting around the fire drinking to much with buddies waiting for the bells to jingle. Then watching 5 drunken catfisherman trying to run over the rocks at night to get to their poles. Man some of those hurt.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts