• mostly always keep

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen various opinions regarding catch and release and was curious what the majority of people think on the subject. I think folks are entitled to their own rights either direction and don't feel anyone needs to push their beliefs on anyone also.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I voted catch and keep sometimes. It really all depends on the fishery and what I think it can handle. I harvest very selectively. Mostly small fish, trout no bigger than 16" and mostly stocked ones feeding on crawdads or scuds, pike no bigger than 24" (depends on the fishery if I will keep any at all), and catfish no bigger than 3# (after 3# they get too fat and the meat is very soft and disgusting). I release all bass. I keep all walleye I catch at juniata, but will throw all back at rifle. I throw back any bull bluegill or green sunfish anywhere. I harvest most of the yellow perch I catch, as with crappie, until my limit is filled (and since the west slope has no limit for yellows, that is never). I LOVE eating fish, but it really depends on the fishery.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
I voted Catch and Keep Sometimes - that "sometimes" is very rare though!

What he said. Ill keep maybe 10 a year. and thats alot for me. I think it really help s the lake to throw back the big ones. If im going to keep anything it will be alittle over small size. I caught a 10.5lb walleye about 10yrs ago and to this day I wish I would have let her go.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
I voted Catch and Keep Sometimes - that "sometimes" is very rare though!
I do the same as Ken: "Catch and Keep Rarely".

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I usually on keep fish if I'm camping or flat broke and need to eat. :p

So I would say 90% Catch and Release.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Catch and keep sometimes... My keep to release ratio stays about half and half with a little flux, depending on species of fish or location where I fish.

I love eating fish. I don't mind going through the trouble of scaling and cleaning, however, I am quite selective. I'll throw back all smallmouth and largemout bass. I'll keep trout of good fillet size, but I rarely encounter them. I love brookies and I'll take advantage of the limit as long ast they're in the 6 to 8 inch range, given the chance (note I take a brook trout trip only about twice a year). Not a fan of stocker trout so I'll release all of them at times unless I've got someone, usually an elderly, who wants them. The species I fish for to eat are mainly crappie, wiper and walleye. Though I do target those, I rarely ever fish for them exclusively. Wiper, on the other hand, I'll fish for them quite often. I'll get to eat maybe 10 crappie at the most each year (just in spring). Same goes for wiper. Walleye, if I'm lucky, I'll get to eat maybe 5. Catfish are another species that I like to eat, but I only like eating big ice off cats that I catch in late March to early April. After that, I don't even bother fishin for them. Don't fish for bluegill much or at all and never ever catch any worthy of keeping. Perch, I'll keep if they look like those from Aurora but how often do you come across that? Perch in the under 10" size along w/my crappie go back to the lake for more growing. I'm picky with the eating size of my panfish.

Good luck to everyone and have a safe and productive fishing season,
1eyeReD

·
Registered
157 Posts
Didn't keep a single fish last year, nor, the year before. Almost kept a rainbow last year but she gained her strength back and finally swam off strong.

L

·
0 Posts
In Colorado I will keep and eat 1 or 2 walleyes a year. I keep every Koke I get for smokin', within legal limits and I only fish for them when I want the meat. I don't like eating trout of any type. I'll keep pike that the DOW want taken out of a lake (Spinney). When I go to Alaska I keep as much Salmon and Halibut I can get back home and the Canadian lodge I go to is strictly catch and release except for smaller fish for shore lunch.

I release every trophy size fish I catch, even in Alaska. You gotta keep the "TROPHY" gene going!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dan said:
We catch and release most of our fish,  but there is not an option for that.  Whether we catch and release or keep depends on a lot of different variables.

Dan
Dan

I just reworded the middle choice as it covers both aspects on how you think of it more clearly hopefully. Thanks for the feedback- TA

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I will keep rainbows from stocked lakes if I have a specific request from the "war department" to bring home a couple for the frying pan, and that happens perhaps once a month. Otherwise I release everything. If I am fishing with grandkids I usually let them keep their fish if they want to.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I release most of the fish I catch, but....

nearly aways keep something for the pan. So I voted accordingly - always keep something. Fish is really good for you, lake trout have some of the highest in omega 3 fatty acids of any fish, tuna and salmon include. I don't like to eat fish that has been frozen... so I keep what I'm going to eat in the next day or two.

So there!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
If I am fishing with grandkids I usually let them keep their fish if they want to.
I do the same when I take the mini-people (cousins, nephews, nieces) out too. It keeps their interest for more fishing trips. Annnnd, it's usually stockers we're fishing for when I take the mini-people  :p

F

·
0 Posts
For me it depends on the species...When I'm reeling in channel cats most of the eatting size fish make their way to the deep fryer...same goes for crappie. Trout I'll eat now and then but prefer small trout to cook....I keep some fish throughout the year but the basic rule I have keep enought to eat for that night..thats it. After they end up in the freezer they don't taste as good. I remeber camping on texas creek with my grandpa he would wake us up start the grill and send us out with our fishing poles. All the grandkids would catch fish guy them almost on the hook and take them up to grandpa to fry up with bacon and eggs!!!! to this day its the best thing I've ever ate!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have just started fishing again for the first time since I was a kid, & have only caught rainbows. Which is ok since I like the taste of rainbows. At first we were only keeping 12" or better, now since we realized that would be ALOT of fish we have moved the mark up to 14" on rainbows. I love to eat fish, but I will only keep what my family can eat.

M

·
0 Posts
I almost always release a fish after a picture.

Exceptions:

Fish is gill hooked, hooked in the gut, or is large enough to be mount worthy (which hasn't happened yet)

I think the less fishy a fish tasted, the better. I kept my limit at forebay last year, and they were good, but I almost always release fish.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts