Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shaming someone has been a system of justice first outlined by Confucius. The feeling of shame may be too much for some these days because it makes them "feel" bad. LOL It should as that is the purpose. The difference is after shaming we need to move on as the debt has been paid. So I will move on and post educational material for those that don't want to be shamed. I am not a preservationist but a realistic conservationist. If you plan on catching fish for dinner, I can care less if you stick your finger in the gills, batter them in dirt, and slap it on a rock while saying "We only wish, to catch a fish, so juicy sweet" . If you plan on releasing them, then there are some simple steps to insure their survival.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/flytalk/2013/07/three-ways-help-catch-and-release-trout-survive

http://midcurrent.com/experts/good-trout-release-practices/

http://www.hatchmag.com/blog/catch-release-fishing-10-tips-successful-release/771637

I will also post a study that was most unfortunate in how it came to be.

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/steelhead/you-may-be-killing-steelhead-and-not-even-know-it/

Physics can be applied to ANY species of fish and ALL fish can produce momentum out of the water they can not produce while in the water. Head injury from flopping on rocks or gravel just may kill your prize HOURS after release. So why risk it if you are planning to release the fish?

Here's one from this very forum.
http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/3-colorado-fishing/105553-foam-fungus-trout.html
Poor handling removes the protective coating off a fish and makes it more susceptible to fungal infections. Ask your local biologist.

I try to have some fun here. I make some dumb posts, even perpetuate some stupid threads. I have my opinion and like all opinions some are better than others. I'm not ashamed to be ridiculed either. My skin is thick. I'm not one to make a statement without being able to back that statement up with facts. I have lived in this state my whole life and I have witnessed the degradation of once great fisheries. Why? Because people don't take the time to inform themselves and/or practice good handling skills. Line one in my signature! Line two applies to a buddy of Lurker and mine.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
625 Posts
This is awesome! I was literally thinking that there needs to be a handout with every license. Friday I had a dude come fish on top of me and we both pulled undersized walleye after undersized walleye out of the water. He yanked his 6 feet onto the shore dragging them through the dirt and pinning them down to get the hook out then throwing (literally) them back. Wasn't interested in my suggestion that those fish would be dead.

When I first started I yanked trout on the shore that way because I did not know....and you don't know what you don't know. Someone told me, I felt like **** and changed. I wish something came with the license. Even a day license.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If all the mis handling myths were true...every river and lake would be littered with dead fish. They arent. Use common sense, handle with care unless you plan to keep.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If all the mis handling myths were true...every river and lake would be littered with dead fish. They arent.
Been to any popular lakes and ponds around Denver lately? I poked around up there last weekend and I'd argue otherwise...

·
Registered
34 Posts
If all the mis handling myths were true...every river and lake would be littered with dead fish. They arent. Use common sense, handle with care unless you plan to keep.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I admire skepticism as a general rule, as it keeps people on their feet. So I ask you this: If forced from a plane would you want a parachute? How about instructions on putting it on and how to use it? It's not a guarantee of a safe landing but your odds are greatly increased with a bit of knowledge. So what harm comes from following simple guidelines and/or informing yourself? None.

And your echo falls short of a constructive rebuttal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've heard an argument that goes like this "Fish that take the hook and are released over and over are just plain dumb, however by releasing them it allows them to breed, distributing more dumb hook biting genes, this results in a whole population of dumb hook biting fish"

Proponents of this viewpoint advocate a swift bang to the back of the hook takers head, to further enhance the fishery overall.

Its called 'fishing' not 'catching' for a reason.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've heard an argument that goes like this "Fish that take the hook and are released over and over are just plain dumb, however by releasing them it allows them to breed, distributing more dumb hook biting genes, this results in a whole population of dumb hook biting fish"

Proponents of this viewpoint advocate a swift bang to the back of the hook takers head, to further enhance the fishery overall.

Its called 'fishing' not 'catching' for a reason.

LOL. Those fish that are caught over and over eventually learn to be wrap counters, micro current analyzing machines, or chalk stream inhabitants.

I guess "opportunistic feeder" doesn't mean much to those that subscribe to that particular argument. So only until these anglers go fishing and catch nothing will fish actually be considered smart? Or maybe just smarter than those anglers? LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ye, you now you have a river full of smart fish, when they are undetectable and never take a hook!
Some may moan that all the fish have been taken, its simply not the case, the waterbody is infact teeming with high IQ fish!

·
Registered
36 Posts

While funny, also fairly poignant on the hypocrisy inherent in fly fishing. lets all be ethical and use the best practices we can. I figure it like global warming, you don't have to believe in it to want a clean and healthy planet. Two mutually exclusive conversations. So just because you want to eat your catch doesn't mean you should be careless with the fish you do release.

·
Registered
6 Posts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TkSo22X48as

While funny, also fairly poignant on the hypocrisy inherent in fly fishing. lets all be ethical and use the best practices we can. I figure it like global warming, you don't have to believe in it to want a clean and healthy planet. Two mutually exclusive conversations. So just because you want to eat your catch doesn't mean you should be careless with the fish you do release.
What hypocrisy do you mean? Be specific. I didn't find the video funny, it wa actually pretty stupid (IMO).
I do agree with you last statement, If you're going to keep a couple for dinner do all you can to ensure the ones you release have the best chance of survival you can afford them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Was down at the local hookshop the other day, ROTFL, they were selling triple hooks with the barb removed! WTF? I mean seriously, you are fishing with a treble hook, but are all warm and smug in the fact that you are practicing catch and release, so... after you've swam it around for 20 mins hanging by its oesophagus.
Catch and release = cruel and unusual punishment.

Catch it and kill it!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ye, you now you have a river full of smart fish, when they are undetectable and never take a hook!
Some may moan that all the fish have been taken, its simply not the case, the waterbody is infact teeming with high IQ fish!

lol. I take the "no fish in thar" with a grain of salt. If I listened to half the people that talk fishing, I wouldn't fish any river in this state.lol It's as entertaining as listening to the size of fish they were catching in their "not-so-secret" pond.lol

If people couldn't see the fish in the Blue, Pan, Platte, Taylor, just to mention the obvious, most would think these rivers are "fishless". lol

As a general rule, as access increases and/or the nearer a body of water is to a dense population center, the quality and quantity of fish decreases unless special regulations are in place. Why is that?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts