Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at some of the post on this page... And I have a question. Why are people keeping many of the big fish there catching.. I would say most of them are not breaking any records.... I guess what comes to mind is why not put them back so they get bigger so we can all have a greater chance at catching some records. Why not take a picture and put it back... And if its food your after does a 20 inch fish really give you more then a couple extra bits then a 15 inch fish would. Maybe I an wrong. Whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I for one catch a lot of large fish. I throw most of them back. Sometimes I decide to keep them. It's that simple.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Im mixed on this one. On one had its not breaking a law by keeping them and I like next person loves to eat them but I think there needs to be a slot limit.

Stockers are fair game. They are stocked all over a number of times a year.
Bass should have a slot(not sure why anyone would eat a bass)
Kokes maybe a limit of 2 or 3.
Lakers should have a slot.
Walleye, Slot
As for hybrid fish(Wiper, Tiger Muskies,Sageye...Any fish that cant breed)....I think they should all be C&R no questions asked. Same with pike.

I say this due to the fact that I used to fish the Q all the time and it WAS one of the best hybrid muskie spots in the state and maybe even the west. But to many fish were kept and If im not mistaken they no longer stock them in there anymore.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

M

·
0 Posts
Jay, I can't remember the last time Tigers were stocked there, I think a ranger told me it was back in 200 or earlier...i fish a TON out there and havent ever seen one

·
Registered
529 Posts
There was an entire thread just written about this(C&R) and a poll taken about 2 weeks ago- might want to take a look at it. It is in the Colorado Fishing section.

D

·
0 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
Stockers are fair game. They are stocked all over a number of times a year.
Bass should have a slot(not sure why anyone would eat a bass)
Kokes maybe a limit of 2 or 3.
Lakers should have a slot.
Walleye, Slot
As for hybrid fish(Wiper, Tiger Muskies,Sageye...Any fish that cant breed)....I think they should all be C&R no questions asked. Same with pike.
[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
Wipers, walleyes, and saugeyes are raised and stocked by DOW specifically so they can be caught, kept  and eaten - just like stocker rainbows and kokanee.  I have no problem with people catching and keeping those fish.  Even the biggest ones live only a modest number of years.  They were created specifically to be harvested.  Yum!!

I'll leave it to the biologists to set the kokanee limit at an appropriate number.  Any fish not harvested by anglers or eaten by lakers are going to die at the end of their 4 year life cycle anyway, so I say utilize them.  The 10 fish limit has worked for decades. 

As for large and smallmouth bass, I would prefer to see the big fish released, but that decision should be made depending on the needs of the individual lake. Virtually all of the small metro bass waters should be mandatory C&R for bigger fish, artificial lures only).  (On a side note, small smallmout bass from clean water - ala Lake Powell or Flaming Gorge - are really tasty when fried up, don't know why some of you give them such a bad rap).

As for big lake trout, I prefer to see them released.  If the forage base is decent, those fish can easily live over 30 years!  I hate to see a 30 year old fish killed just to be smoked, or mounted, or wasted just so someone can brag about it.  Take a picture and get a replica made.  If you want one to eat the 18"-22" make great fillets and are right tasty when prepared properly.

My $.02.

Don

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I agree with don on everything, except I think the kokanee limit should be lowered because there are so many more people fishing for them now than there used to be. You have to change with the times IMO.
I also think pike management should be careful. Statewide no bag limit is not right. Some fisheries, harvey gap, yampa river, among others, should be C&R. Northern pike regulate these fisheries and keep them from crashing (although harvey gap is close to crashing because of over-harvest of pike). Northern pike actually IMPROVE these fisheries A LOT. same with at crawford, although I feel 1 or 2 small ones should be kept. At rifle, maybe 3-4 but only 1 greater than 30". Now at stagecoach, limit should be like 10 with a slot 24-36" released and one over 36". Spinney- unlimited. Elevenmile- 2 only 1 greater than 36". My view on it. Pike can either be the fish from preventing the fishery to crash, or they can do the crashing. They are the most valuable management tool when put into lakes with overpopulated panfish and/or suckers and carp. In GREAT trout fisheries, I prefer to see them in low numbers if at all. Now there is no problem in giving up a few 10" stocker trout that can't holdover or get any bigger anyway and having pike in there. I really am against blanket management as a whole.
Now, bluegills should be carefully managed as well. You do not want to keep big bluegills or you can stunt the lake.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts

While that may be true...I guess the thinking behind what i was saying is that if people keep harvesting hybrid fish and the DOW stops their stocking program the fish have no chance to reproduce thus we have no more wipers, Tigers etc etc etc.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

L

·
0 Posts
I'll leave these things to the experts.

I think the kokanee limit should be lowered because there are so many more people fishing for them now than there used to be.
I agree, lots more people fishing for salmon nowadays compared to back in the day.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
When I want fish to eat, I just go to one of the stocked lakes and catch some rainbows. They're easy to catch and there is no danger of depleting some native fish population.

But even with those I use a kind of personal slot limit. Under 14" they get tossed back. Over about 22" I let those go too, why not, let somebody else have some fun with them as well.

Above 14" they have probably been stocked in some previous year so they have had a chance to get adapted to the wild and get some red color to the meat. Eating a rainbow with white meat doesn't sound very appetizing.

Forgot to mention -- I have no mercy on walleyes. >:D

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
This is just my opinion but I think all bass should be catch and release. Period, end of story. And the punishment for keeping a bass should be stoning until dead. :eek:

Honestly I see no reason for keeping bass. The fun is in catching them-there are way better tasting fish if you want something for the fish fry anyway.

M

·
0 Posts
I'm all for catch and release but I've got to give a different perspective (and I'm sure a lot of folks won't agree with me - that's OK).

There have been a lot of times when stuff I've hunted or fished have gotten me by to my next paycheck. I've had some good times and I've had some tough times. Tackle is cheap and stays with you for a long time (I've got fly rods, flies, and fly tying material I've had for over 25 years), dough bait and salmon eggs don't go bad, worms can be dug up in the yard, plastic worms, crank baits, etc. last forever, and we're lucky enough to be in an area where we can travel a relatively short distance and catch edible fish (or find lures left laying around that you can ad to your box).

With relation to species specificity, I've eaten a lot of rainbows out of Georgetown - that's my standby lake. I love the LEGAL sized walleye out of Chatfield and other places. During the good years, I don't keep many fish unless I know it won't live if released or I want the occasional dinner. During the rough years, I've stopped on the way home and picked up dinner by fishing for it. Smallies can be tasty, bass can be tasty (at the right time of year) but I'm not going to fish specifically for them when I'm fishing for food - I'm going to fish for anything edible (and that includes setting crawfish traps out at Elevenmile - they're VERY tasty).

Some will say that's a cop-out but think of it this way for hunting - for a $20.25 license, a $20.00 box of shells and a $30 tank of gas, I can use the 30-06 I've had for years and pick up $2,000 worth of meat.

For fishing, after the cost of the license, I just pull out stuff I already have and spend $2 or $3 on gas to catch a limit of fish that'll feed me for a few days during the week or even take the weekend to get away and camp in National Forest. It's also something you can do to keep your mind off the things that are making the times tough (still cheaper than going to the movies).

...and I've got a lot of respect for those DOW guys, no matter if I agree with them or not, for managing a balance that makes sure the wildlife is there to fit my needs whatever they may be.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Mr. Ed said:
There have been a lot of times when stuff I've hunted or fished have gotten me by to my next paycheck. I've had some good times and I've had some tough times.
I hear ya, Mr. Ed. I no longer hunt, haven't for many years, but it got me through college when I had a wife and 3 kids to feed and I didn't know where the next meal was coming from. Hunger changes your perspective when it comes to wildlife preservation. Now I can buy my steaks at the supermarket, but I haven't forgotten how to butcher a deer if I have to. I don't want to, but if my family is hungry, that deer is going down, and those fish that I now release will be going home with me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think everyone has made very good points.

Personally, I feel that if someone is going to eat any animal they harvest, then it's all good. I do hate to see something taken for show purposes only. But if you're going to eat 'em, enjoy. I'm a C&R guy myself, but don't give a rat's behind if someone keeps them. Hell, I'm driving for two straight days north to C&R some big ol' northerns and walleyes. Ok, I'll probably fry up a walleye one of the nights. Too tastey.

vc

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
I catch and release most fish...and no longer hunt since I moved here from Minnesota (they shoot horses wearing orange here) 26 years ago...

But that was a great great post Mr Ed...until one stands in judgement of someone here they ought to walk a bit in their shoes at that particular moment...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Mr. Ed-I'm just curious-what made some years rough and some years good?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts