Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Hell, just this past week I was planning to butter up the 4 stocker trout that me and my girl brought home from barbour ponds and then found out that my girl's mother got to them 1st. She enjoyed all 4 of the trout cooked with oriental spices to herself and a friend!

I aint mad though.... It makes me glad when I'm reminded that my smelly fish are welcomed. :)

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
well as far as catch and release i try to keep the big ones over 10 pounds and let the other ones go back to get bigger and my kids dont mind what kinda fish it is as long as they get to eat it. they like them best steamed

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I return most of my fish to water, if they deeply hooked I will keep and if they just look tasty I will keep also. I don't eat much fish but my wife loves it. It works out well, I get to go fishing and she gets to eat what I bring home.

In the last couple of seasons I have released every walleye I caught in Colorado. Since most of the lakes I fish are 18 inch minimum size and the largest I have caught is 17.5.

Dan

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would like to see some of these Denver Metro ponds made into artificial fly/lure only as well as catch and release. Sure would improve the bass fishing as it doesn't take long to outfish these little bodies of water.

Not saying turn them all into C&R, just give us bassaholics some better local fishing.

I've had some limited discussion with local agencies and wildlife officials on the subject. Most admit that they don't have the funding and resources to manage these areas as such. It would require some extra policing, signs and semi-annual population control. Doing this would take funding away from other wildlife projects.

The interest in bass fishing is growing so the DOW is looking at ways to accomodate. If folks pestered them a bit more, I am sure we could pursuade officials to change some some rules a bit to create some really great bass waters locally.

Just my two cents...good luck and good fishing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Knowing what is in some of the water north of Chatfield I could never eat any fish caught there. I have seen one of the biggest channel cats just out side the power plant on the Platte river. The only problem is that it was in a pool 10 yards down stream from the Littleton/Englewood sewage plant. Highlands ranch emptys in just south of C470.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Jimmy said:
Knowing what is in some of the water north of Chatfield I could never eat any fish caught there. I have seen one of the biggest channel cats just out side the power plant on the Platte river. The only problem is that it was in a pool 10 yards down stream from the Littleton/Englewood sewage plant. Highlands ranch emptys in just south of C470.
Hmm.. That's something to keep in mind, everybody.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Everyone that purchases a fising license is entitled to their legal limit. If you like to eat fish, keep them if you'd like.

And Jimmy... the next time you see those pinheads bagging illegal limits, do something about it, pick up a cell phone and report it to a park ranger... you'd probably feel a whole lot better. Just a thought

Pete

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I probably return 95% of my catch to the water. Nothing against a person keeping their limit, unless it's wasted IMHO. We just don't eat much fish.

I think selective harvest is a good idea, too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Pete I agree with you to a point but I also disaggre with you, Just because someone has a licences doen'st mean the game belongs to them the game of Colorado belongs to all of the Colorado citizens. Don't get me wrong I have nothng about eating what you catch. In fact if you want hear about agguements my niece is a vegetiarian and she is on me all the time about eating any meat and fishing. I know how peeved off i get when she starts on me. It just that I wish some people would concuder people oher than them self. As far as calling, when i am on the lake my cell phone is not with me this is my one place where I can escape from it.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Jimmy said:
Pete I agree with you to a point but I also disaggre with you, Just because someone has a licences doen'st mean the game belongs to them the game of Colorado belongs to all of the Colorado citizens. Don't get me wrong I have nothng about eating what you catch. In fact if you want hear about agguements my niece is a vegetiarian and she is on me all the time about eating any meat and fishing. I know how peeved off i get when she starts on me. It just that I wish some people would concuder people oher than them self. 
The license entitles you to take your limit home with you thats why they sell them, not just so you can fish. Its a form of selective harvesting fisherman will fish and since they have a license they will keep what they caught why because they paid for the privilledge to do so. People who dont fish will go to the store and pay for the same privilledge but get farm raised fish that dont taste as good.
As far as vegetiarians go alot of vegetiarians eat fish, and there are ones that dont. Fisherman are actually good for the enviroment if there werent fisherman there would be diseases that ravish many many water ways, fishing over population. The same thing would happen if vegetiarians didnt eat LIVING PLANTS. The plants would overrun land, roots would grow threw foundations and houses would fall, the plants would be to thick for free roaming game to live and they would all die from being trapped in closed in spaces. or something. :p

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I spend alot of time and money on fishing.  It is a way to totally relax,  enjoy friends and the water.  To me it does not pay to clean what I enjoy.  if you figure the true cost per pound of fish, you could eat lobster every time or other tasty store bought fish.   I hear alot of people complain aboput never cathing walleyes over 18" and that is because anything above that limit is in the livewell.   I think a slot limit would serve CO well or total C&R.

I witnessed first hand what greedy ingnorant fisherman can do to a lake fish population.  I waited 10 years for a lake to fill and mature before the state opened it to the public.  The lake was full of dinner plate sized bluegills and crappies.  It was not unusaul to catch several bass over 5lbs and a possibility of a 10.  The lake had special regs that limited number panfish and only one bass over 21".  Well three years later it was all over.  No big panfish and very few bass.  People had s*** in ther own backyard and then complained about the smell.

You do not have to agree but truely think about it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Neal/CO said:
I have never really agreed with the 18" or over slot on walleye lakes because it seems they are encouraging you to creel the bigger fish ??? But it seems to be working at Chatfield and Pueblo so I will play along!
The minimum size limit makes better fisheries for walleye and perch especially because the larger fish are almost always females. If these larger females were released and spawned successfully, you have hundreds more fish eating the lake's forage, thus causing the population to stunt. The DOW is doing the smart thing to impose this sort of limit (although it must be varied in all lakes because each lake is far different from another). The DOW is trying to do the same thing with the 15" bass minimum, but bass aren't the same way as walleye or perch. The bass limit just causes stunting and overpopulation.The theory is the fish will live long enough to spawn once and develope a good population. While it is a good idea to start off a lake like this, it must be changed later on if the fishery is going to not get stunted.
Keep in mind all the following is assuming the usual rules, I always follow our states rules and everyone should do so.
I keep a few trout each year from the colorado river, almost always smaller browns in the 12-14" range because they are the most tasty. I nearly always keep my limit of brookies, except for leon lake because the brookies are very healthy there with an almost 15" average. I used to keep limits at vega because you could catch hundreds of fish in one day, but now I release them because you get maybe 10 large 16-20" rainbows in a day.
As for warmwater species, I throw back all bluegill over 8". Period. End of story. I keep nearly every perch I catch, until limit is reached. (and in my two perch lakes, crawford and blue mesa, there is no limit). For pike, I like to keep 1 small 20" or so hammer handle every time I go because they are so tasty. I keep crappie larger than 8" as well. For bass, I throw em all back except if one is deeply hooked, and providing it is legal to keep it, I will do so. Bass aren't bad fileted and cooked correctly, provided the bass came from clean, cold water. Like many others have stated, selective harvest is the way to go. My only walleye lake, juniata, I keep every walleye I catch until my limit of 5 is reached. Why? Because they spawn so successfully in there and to keep them in check I keep them. (I throw back almost all the big rainbows in this lake as well, even though their meat is brick red.) SELECTIVE HARVEST IS THE NAME OF THE GAME FOR SURE.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
Neal/CO said:
I have never really agreed with the 18" or over slot on walleye lakes because it seems they are encouraging you to creel the bigger fish ??? But it seems to be working at Chatfield and Pueblo so I will play along!
SELECTIVE HARVEST IS THE NAME OF THE GAME FOR SURE.

I AGREE

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
IMHO, the 18" or over slot on walleye at Pueblo ISN"T working. I'm not a big walleye guy, I fish more for the smallies and spots but guys who fish exclusively for walleye tell me they have a lot of 20, 30 or 40 fish days and not one or maybe just 1 or 2 fish measure. The slot they have there makes you throw back everything under 18" and every single fish over 18" that gets caught is kept. So you end up with a lot of 16" and 17" fish and very few fish over the 18" mark. Makes for a lot of great "numbers" days but hard to get any quality sized fish. Ed

·
Registered
23 Posts
i take only one fish from the days catch, were it's ok to do so
and i go by the limits. if i'm not sure i put it back. i never waste fish though i think thats kinda important to me at least. i even throw carp back. i'd never take a carp home though. i do like catching them sometimes because if im going to throw it back, at least it should be fun.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts