Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it is that time of year again. Rivers are low and clear. Banks are easy to walk and the vegetation has died back. The fall garbage hatch is on... had a slow day on the river Sunday. Cut and planted some willows along the banks to improve my river karma. Kept finding trash to stuff in the hip pack,found way more than I could fit in my pack on the way back to the truck...... Ran into a guy from TU on the river that was happy to see someone out on their own planting stream banks etc. He told me about a spot that I have driven past for over ten years, but never fished. Weedy, spring creek like puddle that I always assumed would be to shallow to hold decent fish over the winter.. Too warm for trout in the summer. Weeds up to a few inches below the surface. The few boils i had seen driving by I assumed were some dink sunfish or methane bubbles from all the weeds. Went there on my way home. Washed off the skunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of it I can understand is inevitable and at some point we have all had things blow away or lost line etc. That is one reason I pick stuff up when I see it. Know that I have contributed my share of trash (and a couple fly boxes). But whole bags of trash, broken grills and most of a twelve pack and the box...... Those people are real POS’s. If enough people keep leaving or public lands nicer than we found them then it will not get too bad.

·
Registered
485 Posts
When I first moved to Montrose I used to wander down to the town lake - Chipeta and fish for a couple of hours. Did that until two things happened. I learned all the other streams and lakes nearby and got tired of picking up trash at the local lake. It was not uncommon to take two full trash bags back to the dumpster by the park entrance which apparently was too difficult for the locals to do for themselves. Haven't been back by Chipeta in quite awhile but I don't think much has changed in the last 14 years that I have been in Montrose.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I do understand where you are coming from PF. And to some extent that is the purpose of town lakes. Give the lazy masses a close place they can be inconsiderate slobs so they do not disperse too much causing damage elsewhere. Recreation management 101.

But this was along a 1/4 mile section of the Poudre River in the canyon.. So it bothers me more than say trash on the river thru town. It was reminding me of the Ark Tailwater in Pueblo......

Anyway I hope you keep picking up trash in the areas that you do chose to fish PF.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts