Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read various blogs, forums and fishing websites because, like everyone else on this forum, I am very passionate about fishing and wish to constantly continue my "education". As many of you agree that is why this forum is so great, there are all different levels of anglers that are apart of this forum and we are all able to learn something from each other no matter how accomplished we are...or aren't.

One topic I seem to keep coming across is the proper way to handle and release fish especially when taking into account a picture or two. It seems that lately I have read more articles and blogs about people bashing other anglers for what they deem improper handling of a fish while capturing their moment with a picture.

Personally I love taking pictures of my fish, I often am by myself and utilize a go pro with a stand that's set to take pictures every second when I turn it on. I find this easier than fumbling with my phone while trying not drop it in the drink.

I am a huge proponet of "good" catch and release practices so someone else can catch that same fish one day- to me "good" implies that you land
the fish as quickly as possible, use a rubber bag net if needed, wet your hands prior to handling, keep the fish in the water until you are ready to get a quick pic, support the fish, stay out of its gills, properly revive prior to release and de barb your hook to make the release easier and less harmful the fish. I realize different species of fish are hardier or more fragile than others but I believe the principals remain pretty much the same.

Anyways, I have been reading different articles/posts and so on that have been bashing what I would deem proper handling- seems like anymore you want to use a piece of chain as a line so you can rip the fish in as fast as possible, never let that fish come into contact with the open air, definitely don't touch it and only vain anglers would dream about taking it out of the water for a picture!

I also came across something specific to you lake trout/eye guys that did a study on mortality rates of fish caught deeper than 5-6M....seems like the fish get something similar to the "bends", has anyone heard of that before?

This post probably won't get many responses though, I know this forum isn't very opinionated.....especially when it comes to this topic...;D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here are a few papers and best practices articles I've found on the subject:

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/ncfwrustaff/72/

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8659(1986)6<226:HMOCTI>2.0.CO;2?journalCode=ujfm20#preview

"The hooking mortality rate per single capture was 0.3%. In 1981, 3% of the
estimated cutthroat trout population died after capture and release by anglers. Cutthroat trout in the study area were captured an average of 9.7 times during the study period in 1981."

http://www.wildtroutstreams.com/CatchRelease/catch_and_release_review_and_guidelines.pdf

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I would agree with that, someone gets really excited to post a report or pictures only to get chased out of town by the mob with pitch forks and torches.

I release mainly because I don't care to eat trout or bass but if I actually knew what I was doing walleye fishing I would absolutely be taking some home.

I guess my whole point was be cognizant and respectful but don't go over the top with ridiculing fellow anglers on catch/release.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts