Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i remember king of the hill episode where hank mistakenly buys crack rocks thinking they were fish baits. he goes fishing with them few times and pulls in bass constantly as they were being hooked on crack.

i know this isn't a possible scenario. but in real life i have encountered strange fish behaviors.

1. i caught bass on power bait rigged for trout. it was middle of july n it was like 100 degrees.
2. i caught several bass fingerlings using fly rod n..... bare gold eagle claw hook.
3. i caught bluegills and crappies jigging.... bare gold eagle claw. i would cast short distances and before it even sank you would see a bluegill snatch it.

any strange occurances for you? if you can scientifically explain these. it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Bass are pretty agressive, epecially as smaller fish. I think that if something is placed in front of them or they see it out of the corner of their eye, they may take a swat at it as a reaction or because the'yre annoyed. They may also strike at something that they think is food and then spit it out if it isn't. This would explain them striking at bare hooks...by the time they discover it isn't food, they're hooked and cant spit it out. Since bass are members of the sunfish family, this could explain bluegill behavior as well. Aslo, in my experience, bluegills aren't the smartest fish out there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
they tend to travel in schools when younger and that brings  out there competitive instinct, and alot of times they bite things with out really examing what it really is blue gills the same way a hook hitting the water can look like a small insect they just want to get the meal before the brother or sister gets it.... and i use jigs to catch crappie and blue gill all the time...

gp

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
When I was a freshman at CU, I got to learn a lot about bluegill behavior. I stayed in the dorm complex with the ponds, forget the name. There were tons of buegill and a few bass. They do school up densely at times, and occasionally go into a feeding frenzy much like sharks do when food becomes available. I was always impressing friends with my fishing skill by dropping a bare hook in the water and pulling out a bluegill. Too bad I can't replicate that with real fish.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I caught some bows on just a silver jighead ice fishing at georgetown. They were deffinatley making up for all the bait that has been snatched in the past.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
I've caught lots of perch on a bare hook thru the ice. I've caught nice wally's on egg sacs in the summer. I caught a 20" brown on a snagging hook. I saw him following it in and I dropped and he popped! hILARIOUS.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
A buddy and I were bass fishing an oxbow of the missouri river and could not catch a fish. We were fishing docks and a couple of kids come down with junky little rods with a bobber and a chunk of hot dog. That bait was not in the water for three minutes and bang a 2lb bass. HUMBLED!

F

·
0 Posts
My granddads used to run trot lines baited with ivory soap for channel cat. Can't say I know they were caught on the soap but they used to catch lots of catfish! I have heard of hot dogs for catfish as well. Caught about a five pound carp on a crappie jig at Pueblo Saturday.

·
Registered
438 Posts
When nymph fising, I use one of those florecent orange stike indicators that has the rubber down the middle and have had many trout come up and take it. I need to figure a way to attach a hook :-\

·
Registered
83 Posts
we catch bluegill on bare hooks in a cove behind north shore marina at pueblo. we usually go there for bluegill to use as bait for wipers.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Fishintim said:
My granddads used to run trot lines baited with ivory soap for channel cat.  Can't say I know they were caught on the soap but they used to catch lots of catfish!  I have heard of hot dogs for catfish as well.  Caught about a five pound carp on a crappie jig at Pueblo Saturday.
They still make catfish bait that is soap. I don't think the ivory soap will work anymore because it doesn't contain all the salt and animal fat is used to.
I have caught a saugeye on a plain hook that I casted out to get out a kink in my line before and my friend caught a trout on a juicy fruit wrapper.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
gotmuskie? said:
Fishintim said:
My granddads used to run trot lines baited with ivory soap for channel cat.  Can't say I know they were caught on the soap but they used to catch lots of catfish!  I have heard of hot dogs for catfish as well.  Caught about a five pound carp on a crappie jig at Pueblo Saturday.
They still make catfish bait that is soap.  I don't think the ivory soap will work anymore because it doesn't contain all the salt and animal fat is used to.
I have caught a saugeye on a plain hook that I casted out to get out a kink in my line before and my friend caught a trout on a juicy fruit wrapper.

Well, I use stinkbait for soap sometimes, but I'm not very popular with my friends when I do :eek:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
homeboy said:
When nymph fising, I use one of those florecent orange stike indicators that has the rubber down the middle and have had many trout come up and take it. I need to figure a way to attach a hook  :-\
This has happened to me more times than I can count. I've jammed a couple of hooks into one and epoxied them into place. It's caught me a couple of fish.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Quote from: homeboy on May 01, 2006, 06:32:57 pm
When nymph fising, I use one of those florecent orange stike indicators that has the rubber down the middle and have had many trout come up and take it. I need to figure a way to attach a hook

This has happened to me more times than I can count. I've jammed a couple of hooks into one and epoxied them into place. It's caught me a couple of fish.
Some shops sell an "indicator" dry fly. It's just a bright orange dry. I have thought about sticking a small hook in the indicator before. Good idea silicone boy I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys for some great replys over last few days.
some interesting stories you guys have. specially catfish on soap. and trout on juicy fruit wrapper. im thinking its one of those "pure" soaps that unlike today may not contain too many chemical additives.

its 100% whale fat and got the meat scent all over it.

also seems like the ice fishermen uses bare hooks to jig fish out all the time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hatchmaster said:
Some shops sell an "indicator" dry fly. It's just a bright orange dry. I have thought about sticking a small hook in the indicator before. Good idea silicone boy I'll give it a shot.
You can pretty much use any huge dry for this Hatch, like a stimi or big hopper. I havent heard of any "indicator fly" besides... rigging up three flies is a pain in the @$$!!! lol... I havent had fish striking my indicator enough to go through the trouble of sticking on a hook. really... it could pull out very easily. Unless you have some way to TIE it on.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Down in Tex. I caught a white bass on a bare hook, about 5 inches down in water(really clear water too). accidently let it dangle over boat in water, for seconds. Fairly small one; hard to remember maybe 10-12 inch. The worst part of it is; ??? all 3 of us (me, my gramps, and dad)
got totally freakin skunked, not one bite! go figure. :-\
My old fishin buddy used to say he caught 'gills on cigarettes butts; ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
i was struggling fishing one day for smallmouth. I finally put down my rod with a tube rigged up so i could put on a crank. The tube was just hanging over the side of the boat inches above the water when a good sized smallie about to everything over. That ended up being the best bite i had all day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts