Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing since I was a little kid (over 20 years) and I have never caught any "big" fish. The fish I catch are average. Occasionally, I catch one that will be bigger than my normal catch but nothing to really brag about. I have no problems catching fish but I can never seem to catch a "jaw dropper".

This year my goal is to catch "big" Trout, Walleye, or bass.

Is catching bigger fish more luck than skill? Are there certain things I can do to catch bigger fish such as using larger lures or fishing deeper waters, etc. ?

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bass Hunter,

From the looks of the fish you have posted on this forum and other pictures I have seen elsewhere, it is obvious you are person who happens to "be at the right place right time". You regularly catch bass over 4 lbs. I can only think of a few times ever when I caught bass over 4 lbs.

When you fish, are you specifically targeting larger bass?

Is there common characteristic you have noticed when you have caught the bigger bass i.e nightime, deep water, presentation, structure, lure size, etc. ?

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I Walleye fish, I primarily fish at Chatfield, the chatfield spillway, and Aurora. Usually, I will catch quite a few walleye, but I hardly catch a keeper (18 inches plus). I primarily fish by trolling with worm harnesses and small curly tail grubs.

If I want to catch bigger Walleye, are there certain areas of a lake I should be focusing on? Is there a certain time of the year when bigger Walleyes are caught more often? What are your techiques for catching Walleye?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.