Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Gunnison for three days after Xmas...Need advice on where and how to ice the Lakers at these two lakes...Never tried for Lakers at these two. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The fish at taylor are bottom-hugging, light biting, and non aggressive. They hit very good in the early, early morning, and are very tough to get to bite after 11 or 12. Taylor, oddly enough, have macks that like something colored chartreuse. Chartreuse tube jigs in the 2-4" range tipped with sucker meat work very well. Lakers are a tad shallower than some lakes, with 20 fow to 60 fow being premium. I would look for about 40. I like structure, main lake points, inlets, old stream channels, etc. Whatever and wherever it is, you need quick access to deep water generally. However, in front of the boat house or whatever it is there is a large flat along that area and to the west 30-40 fow or so and it can be very good for smaller macks. The northern pike are very tough to find and catch. There are rainbows, cutthroats, and browns, all fairly easy to catch and I've caught each one in the same day before. Usually 12" or so but you catch some that are 16" or so too. Not very fat. average lakers are 15-22" some are fat. Throw back any over 20"
Blue mesa lakers sometimes suspend, and very occaisionally are said to hit hard. Try to find the kokanee. I've had success in 80 fow or so. Most of the lakers are bottom hugging and hit light though. Dillion pinacles is a good spot, as is sapenero, and iola is good also. Try to find sunken islands in most of the places. I like white tube jigs in the 3-5" range, tipped with sucker meat. a large bucktail can sometimes be deadly too. Iola is probably your best bet for numbers sapenero for size. Is is probably safe at iola and if there is any ice at sapenero it is iffy. Release all macks caught at blue.

Good luck and please vote in my poll concerning the strikes of lakers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts