Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few friends and I headed to Williams Fork on Friday to spend a couple of days on the ice before it is no longer safe to fish on. It was nice both yesterday and today with temperatures in the upper 50s and lots of sun. There is still over 20 inches of compacted snow and ice, but it is all getting soft quickly. During the day you can hear the melting ice running downward and eating into the the harder ice. It won't be long before all the remaining ice is rotten.
We fished lots of different areas and caught fish every place we tried. We caught fish in water from 16 to 82 feet deep. We didn't catch any real big fish, but we did have several that were between 22 and 24 inches.
I did catch one fish that looked like it had a close encounter with a hungry pike. The laker seemed fat and healthy even though it only had a nub left for a tail. You could see teeth marks around the tail area and most of the tail was missing. The tail area that did remain seemed to be healed up and judging by the condition of the fish, it seemed to be getting a long just fine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Way to get at 'em. Late ice is usually good for fishing, 'tho can seem scary, but us die-hard ice guys will take early ice and late ice. Caution advised!! We were at Granby Saturday, and like you, ice in the afternoon made us wonder about the next trip? On leaving, the top 4-5 inches of frozen slush had us breaking thru a few times,..but the solid ice below was still 10 inches. We were thinking the Fork next weekend for maybe a last ice trip.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice report. Looks like a nice day. In the last 3 weeks at the fork I have seen 5 or 6 that have had fresh gashes in them. One was about 16" and had guts hanging out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts