Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best methods?

I will be at Ridgeway reservoir this weekend and it looks like there are browns and rainbows in there. Also kokanee which I wouldn't mind hooking up with. It looks like my wacky rigs and senkos may be worthless up there, what are some good methods of catching trout from shore?

I will have a fly rod and a bunch of spin casting setups for the little ones. I am sure I could have the little ones drowning worms but what are some other methods? Dry fly with a casting bobber? Kastmasters? What are some other good methods? Anyone?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Kastmasters kick a$$ for trout and kokes, smaller sizes prolly better.

Flies on a bubble or your flyrod would be in my bag of tricks too, I like to use an elk hair caddis or an adams as searching generic patterns.

Nightcrawlers and Fireballs for the kiddos.

Have fun, thats my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Inflate the worms or put a piece of marsh mellow in front of the worm for the little ones. Gets it off the bottom and noticed.

Otherwise, I have good luck throwing small Rapalas, HD Trouts, or Kastmasters from shore for trout.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have experience catching kokes? I have never even tried for them let alone caught one. I actually have a trip planned to go get some on the dream stream in October but I would love to get some out of that lake. Tips for kokanee in lakes from shore? Is it realistic? Anything they like?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Anyone have experience catching kokes? I have never even tried for them let alone caught one. I actually have a trip planned to go get some on the dream stream in October but I would love to get some out of that lake. Tips for kokanee in lakes from shore? Is it realistic? Anything they like?
I've been told Pink is the color for Kokes... specifically the Tasmanian Devil

I have never spent the time to target them so FWIW. lol

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
If there is a shoreline that drops off quickly and deep enough you may catch them from shore.

I used to do that frequently at a certain lake that shall remain un-named.

I also catch a lot in the boat with the same lures..kastmasters.

I like kokanee to eat as long as they aren't spawners, nice and silver and they are pretty good.

No idea of the population in Ridgeway for kokanee, hope you get some though.

My spots around here are all gill lice infected and I'm not going to drive to Gunny for kokeanee.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Never been there, but a fly and bubble are a great way for the kids to fish. I have a 8 year old boy and a great niece the same age and that's the only way they have ever caught trout. I tried the whole bait and wait thing with the kiddos, but they wanted to cast and reel, so I thought fly and bubble was logical alternative. Don't limit yourself to dries with this method...nymphs and streamers work well too.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
1/4 oz panther martin... I like the holographic UV patterns they have come out with in the last few years, but the albino red eye has been my go-to lure since I was a kid. $$$

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Use your fly rod. Put a couple flies 18 inches apart and float them with an indicator a foot off the bottom. Anything generic should work. Hares ears, pheasant tails, copper johns, chiros...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts