Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Carter Lake throughout the weekend on the south end by the boat ramp. The first day I began to to get discouraged by only landing a few stock size rainbows. I started to head out to move to a new area when the kokanee finally showed themselves. I happened to see a small (8''-12'') silvery fish skip across the water as only spawning salmon do, at the very back end of the boat ramp cove. I quikly busted out the snagging pole, casted to him/her, and rolled the fish over on the first cast. This fish was in about one foot of water. After snagging in the entire area for about an hour I left with out any kokes. Bieng a very calm day without any fisherman around and very shallow water I think that the plunking of the snagging hooks on the water spooked the fish away. Also, I don't think that the fish have quite started their run quite yet.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
did u try off the dam 1 for kokanne i havent seen or heard any reports of kokanne there i dont think theres that many in there i cant figure them out in there thats weird the one u saw was still silver and not red i'll go during the week and give it a try again is that all u saw was 1

·
Registered
935 Posts
I've rarely seen so many sentences crammed into one like that! There should be plenty of non-spawning kokes in Carter who will wait for next year. They wouldn't be red.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not try dam 1. I haven't noticed any fisherman action on that part of the res. and my intuition keeps telling me to try by the boat ramp area. Also, the salmon I did see may or may not have been a spawning koke. Maybe I'm wrong (it's happened before) but, who's ever heard of a non-spawning kokanee deep in the back of a cove in less than three feet of water?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts