Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am looking to catch my first catfish this year.  I have been told that Cherry Creek and Bonny have some good ones.  Does anybody have some pointers on general areas.  Also, is it too cold to catch em still?  I don't want to KNOW where your bootprints are, but I hope to find em.  Any advice will help.  I am totally new to catfish and know very little.

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
294 Posts
I caught my first last year at Chatfield in Plum Creek. Worms and Chicken Livers. This year I'm making it a priority. I also caught them on Chicken Livers in the Ponds behind the Bridge.

L

·
0 Posts
15 years ago or more, friends and I would go fish kingfisher and the inlet at Chatfield in the spring, at night after a good afternoon rain. If I remember right, our theory was that the cats would come in and feed in the heavy run-off. We caught a few cats, nothing of size. I'm not a wisker fisherman but I hear most guys say it's still too cold. ???????

·
Registered
110 Posts
its a lil too cold to be fishing them right now, i fish mine at harriman ive tried adams county too... i use worms and dough baits, and blood baits but the smell just kills me, when time comes your welcome to come fish with me, trout hunter would probably join us...

M

·
0 Posts
I agree it is def. still too cold for consitant action, although they are occasionally pulled through the ice. I have a bunch of good spots at Chatty I'd share with you...and those gravel ponds mentioned...we were fishing there last summer and an 18 pounder was pulled out...according to the ranger, I didn't witness it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
catfish are one of my favorites its just somthing about fishing at night and watching the tip of your rod tap, it just gets me wild about them...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Im also a catfish junkie, i love fishing at night for big channels....but i usually dont start until it warms up a bit, both because the action seems better (when you do find fish) and also for the whole comfort level thing....catfishing should be a warm weather sport :)

As far as i know though cats will hit year around, if you can find them....

·
Registered
381 Posts
A Cat fish fisherman from Texas once told me that the best bate for cat fish is chicken liver that has been out in the hot sun for couple of days. I have tried it and sure enough it does work, you would not want to touch it with your bear hand though, you 'll never get that smell off you for days..

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You can catch catfish year round-I get then in deep water all winter long vertical jigging. I think thats the key-forget any shallow water spots until the water warms. Fish gotta eat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Chicken Liver is a good bait for catfish but wouldnt it be harder to keep it on your hook because its already mushy as it is and the sun would just make it liquid lol. My choice of catfish bait is old stinky shrimp and works well for me anywhere that produce Cats.

·
Registered
943 Posts
thats funny you bring it up ;D i was just thinking yesterday about hitting thhe fairgrounds real soon. i got broke off alot last year. this year i am going to hit it hard. i want some big cats this year :eek:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Its never too cold for catfish, but during the colder weather you have to be in the right place at teh right time. when the water is colder the catfish find deep dark holes to hide in and they wont come out as easy. If you put the bait right in front of their hole they may take it, but they wont swim out too far from their hole until they get hungry, which isnt often. I usually wait until bass really start to bite, cause that means teh water temp is right.
For bait i usually use chicken liver since its easiest. If you really want to go crazy and have a good place outside to grow something terrible smelling i have a recipe. Take some old catfish bait and throw it into some kind of black container with a hole poked in teh top (i use a coffee can painted black). On top of that add about a 1/2 cup of milk, a can of corn (drain the juice adn keep it in a seperate container), mashed up chicken livers, a chunk of cheese, and anything else you can find taht is rotten. whenever you have something rotten in your house toss it in. leave the can in a extremely sunny spot and stir it maybe once a week. the consistancy should be about that of an elmers glue stick. if it is too dry add the corn juice or water, if its too moist add dry dog food/bread/or anything that absorbs water. but this can will stink like no other and will permeate the air around it. if you do this right there will be bubbles on the surface (which is the worst smelling gas you can imagen).

·
Registered
943 Posts
my wife would throw me out of the house if i tried that ;D chicken livers is my bait of choice but i have also caught them on shrimp or nightcrawlers. i am going to try cut bait this year.

·
Registered
16,684 Posts
I have caught lots on sucker meat,live minnows and crawlers. The trick is to be in the right spot and time rather than a specific recipe.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i agree slayer you got to put the bait in front of them.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
they bite year round- you just have to find them. Iceintheveins and I caught 6 catfish through the ice at rio blanco reservoir during one trip this year. Also, I went catfishing on the colorado just over a week ago in the huge hole a few min from my house with another guy. We each had two big bites but being rusty we missed em both. That doesn't happen often. I also caught a chub...lol. My favorite baits are chicken livers, anchovies, and shrimp

·
Registered
294 Posts
hunterfishercamper said:
Its never too cold for catfish, but during the colder weather you have to be in the right place at teh right time. when the water is colder the catfish find deep dark holes to hide in and they wont come out as easy. If you put the bait right in front of their hole they may take it, but they wont swim out too far from their hole until they get hungry, which isnt often. I usually wait until bass really start to bite, cause that means teh water temp is right.
For bait i usually use chicken liver since its easiest. If you really want to go crazy and have a good place outside to grow something terrible smelling i have a recipe. Take some old catfish bait and throw it into some kind of black container with a hole poked in teh top (i use a coffee can painted black). On top of that add about a 1/2 cup of milk, a can of corn (drain the juice adn keep it in a seperate container), mashed up chicken livers, a chunk of cheese, and anything else you can find taht is rotten. whenever you have something rotten in your house toss it in.  leave the can in a extremely sunny spot and stir it maybe once a week. the consistancy should be about that of an elmers glue stick. if it is too dry add the corn juice or water, if its too moist add dry dog food/bread/or anything that absorbs water. but this can will stink like no other and will permeate the air around it. if you do this right there will be bubbles on the surface (which is the worst smelling gas you can imagen).

How do you get that stuff on a hook?

·
Registered
294 Posts
fishing303 said:
its a lil too cold to be fishing them right now, i fish mine at harriman ive tried adams county too... i use worms and dough baits, and blood baits but the smell just kills me, when time comes your welcome to come fish with me, trout hunter would probably join us...
I'd love to meet you at Hariman. I live right across the street but havent fished it yet. Where do you have luck with the cats there?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
When you guys say shrimp do you just buy the kind they have at the deli? Also, do you leave it out of the frig to get some more "stink" going or do you just fish with it fresh? And heres an even sillier one-do you prefer popcorn, small, medium, large or jumbo as far as size?

·
Registered
943 Posts
i use the uncooked ones. usually medium size that way, when i get skunked i have an early morning snack ;D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts