Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
497 Posts
Its never too cold for catfish, but during the colder weather you have to be in the right place at teh right time. when the water is colder the catfish find deep dark holes to hide in and they wont come out as easy. If you put the bait right in front of their hole they may take it, but they wont swim out too far from their hole until they get hungry, which isnt often. I usually wait until bass really start to bite, cause that means teh water temp is right.
For bait i usually use chicken liver since its easiest. If you really want to go crazy and have a good place outside to grow something terrible smelling i have a recipe. Take some old catfish bait and throw it into some kind of black container with a hole poked in teh top (i use a coffee can painted black). On top of that add about a 1/2 cup of milk, a can of corn (drain the juice adn keep it in a seperate container), mashed up chicken livers, a chunk of cheese, and anything else you can find taht is rotten. whenever you have something rotten in your house toss it in. leave the can in a extremely sunny spot and stir it maybe once a week. the consistancy should be about that of an elmers glue stick. if it is too dry add the corn juice or water, if its too moist add dry dog food/bread/or anything that absorbs water. but this can will stink like no other and will permeate the air around it. if you do this right there will be bubbles on the surface (which is the worst smelling gas you can imagen).

· Registered
497 Posts
I have long treble hooks that have a little rubber pouch on them. We put the paste into an old ketchup bottle then just fill up this pouch.

To fish for catfish in the winter try casting out as far as you can. Wait for a little bit and if you dont get a bite then reel it in some. about every 10 minutes move the bait to a new area.

· Registered
497 Posts
I read the reply about leaving the drag loose and i liked that idea, but i was wondering, is it any harder to set teh hook or do you just tighten the drag real quick? I use bells and leave very little slack in my line. that way when the cat grabs it he pulls teh line tight and sets teh hook. which would you recommend?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.