Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,952 Posts
they bite year round- you just have to find them. Iceintheveins and I caught 6 catfish through the ice at rio blanco reservoir during one trip this year. Also, I went catfishing on the colorado just over a week ago in the huge hole a few min from my house with another guy. We each had two big bites but being rusty we missed em both. That doesn't happen often. I also caught a chub...lol. My favorite baits are chicken livers, anchovies, and shrimp

· Registered
2,952 Posts
I envy all of you guys that don't have to mess with the evil roundtail chub in your catfish fisheries....ughhh makes it difficult sometimes in the colorado river.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
Oh yeah...I forgot.
There is a great trick to keep chicken liver on your hook. Buy some wax paper. By the chicken liver. During the day, before you go, get the chicken liver and put it on the wax paper and let it dry on one side for about 4-8 hours. This leaves one side bloody, while the other side is tough and will stay on the hook. My favorite hooks for catfish are 1/0 to 3/0 EWG worm hooks from gamakatsu...yep the same ones I use for senkos and flukes. Also, do not rot the chicken liver. It does not help at all and also makes it difficult to stay on the hook.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.