Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
G

·
How do you get that stuff on a hook?
As a kid we fished for bullheads with a homemade dough bait with cotton balls mixed in to hold the bait on a hook. Other than that, good question, I haven't the foggiest. I don't know if this catfishing "stinkbait" thing is for me, it reminds me of the ex-wife!

· Registered
19 Posts
Years ago we would use dental floss to tie on the chicken livers. This worked OK. I've had luck on just about anything dipped in stink bait. My favorite is two or three dead minnows dipped in stink bait. Like others have said, the homemade "stink stuff" works good, but if you're not into the mess and stench, I like Sonnny's stink bait or Charlie Bowkers. They both come in peanut butter type containers. Anyone seen "Charlie Bowkers" stink bait for sale?

· Registered
684 Posts
If you want to go for catfish at cherry creek, try just east of the west picnic area by the inlet. I have seen a couple huge dead ones there before. My favorite bait for them is shrimp and it doesn't matter if its fresh or frozen. I also agree that you can catch them year round but my theory is that the dog days of summer are days for chasing cats.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wow,
I appreciate the help guys. I was at the north side of Cherry Creek today, right next to the dam. Caught 3 trout, nothing special, but didn't get any hits on my stink bait. I think it's got to be too cold still. I tried some chicken liver last year, I honestly I never got it to stay on the hook. Does beef liver work, if you leave it out for a couple of days to rott?

· Registered
497 Posts
I have long treble hooks that have a little rubber pouch on them. We put the paste into an old ketchup bottle then just fill up this pouch.

To fish for catfish in the winter try casting out as far as you can. Wait for a little bit and if you dont get a bite then reel it in some. about every 10 minutes move the bait to a new area.

· Registered
248 Posts
me being from colorado springs the only places i find catfish are pueblo and brush hallow. brush is great for 12 to 18 inch cats and pueblo holds my personal best of 17 lbs caught him at about 5:30 in the am. bait of choice is a jar of crap i call it from outlaw tackle shop it is actually gizzards and just blood and all that good stuff works great because it comes in a big jar for around $6 and u can keep refreezing it for when u need it best bait i have ever found catches big ones and small ones..but let me tell u smells like crap i tried to wear gloves but never helped .. bring baby wipes or something. just fish it on the bottom i have tried putting corks and even bought some trebles with sponge on it but no good.. just hook it up and toss with a bullet weight and watch out buddie wasnt paying attention at pueblo pole got pulled in and he chased it up to his waist found the pole but the line had allready broke thats why i have faith in the cat stuff big and small just ask bob for the cat stuff . he has some other stuff that is yellow i wont even touch it suppost to burn nose hairs off

· Registered
97 Posts
Just an opinion, but why stink up the "hood" with all that crazy stuff. I use 4/0 circle hooks with cut bait, FRESH, cut bait or Jumbo shrimp on those hooks. Cats are a specialty for myself and fishing partners... if ya have patience, they will come by. Warm to hot weather is the best. One other note...loosen the drag to almost nothing, sit back and read a magazine, your choice of publication, and wait 'till ya hear the drag a screaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck..........TONY

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Here are a couple lakes I've had luck with Catfish, that I didnt see mentioned:
Adams County Fairgrounds
Lake Henry
Ordway Res
Meredith Res
Blue Lake (adobe creek res)
Haymes Pond (Ft. Carson)

Chicken liver has worked the best, but mostly catch littler ones. Fresh cut bait will land you bigger ones, I have never used anything but sunfish for cutbait. This year I am going to use carp.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
flies4life said:
To use carp do you scale them first? Or do you just use some flesh? Also I have used panty hose and rubberbands to help hold chicken liver on.
Ive never used carp before... but I assume leaving the scales on would help it stay on the hook.

· Registered
3,075 Posts
cut bait 101

blue gills work best for cut or whole bait i cut my gills into 3 pieces
in a sort of slant cut one with the head one with the middle and then the tail end or i just toss them out whole

carp are not bad for cut bait and you can scale them it helps
young carp is beter then big carp so carp smaller then 8" works
best for cut bait you can fillet the carp and just cut 1" cubes
out of the fillet

when using carp you tend to have to change bait more often

· Registered
497 Posts
I read the reply about leaving the drag loose and i liked that idea, but i was wondering, is it any harder to set teh hook or do you just tighten the drag real quick? I use bells and leave very little slack in my line. that way when the cat grabs it he pulls teh line tight and sets teh hook. which would you recommend?

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
hunterfishercamper said:
I read the reply about leaving the drag loose and i liked that idea, but i was wondering, is it any harder to set teh hook or do you just tighten the drag real quick? I use bells and leave very little slack in my line. that way when the cat grabs it he pulls teh line tight and sets teh hook. which would you recommend?
If using circle hooks you can tighten the drag and then set the hook, if using trebles I just hold the line and set the hook.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
I envy all of you guys that don't have to mess with the evil roundtail chub in your catfish fisheries....ughhh makes it difficult sometimes in the colorado river.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
Oh yeah...I forgot.
There is a great trick to keep chicken liver on your hook. Buy some wax paper. By the chicken liver. During the day, before you go, get the chicken liver and put it on the wax paper and let it dry on one side for about 4-8 hours. This leaves one side bloody, while the other side is tough and will stay on the hook. My favorite hooks for catfish are 1/0 to 3/0 EWG worm hooks from gamakatsu...yep the same ones I use for senkos and flukes. Also, do not rot the chicken liver. It does not help at all and also makes it difficult to stay on the hook.

· Registered
376 Posts
the cotton balls pantyhose and rubber bands used to keep the bait on hooks can also be very hazardous to the fish if injested. Iuse red sewing string tied to the shank of my treble and then rapped around the chicken liver. Also you want to be careful using blugill for bait they are cosidered a game fish,or at least dont talk about it to much,have done it my self

· Registered
6,955 Posts
fisherbob said:
the cotton balls pantyhose and rubber bands used to keep the bait on hooks can also be very hazardous to the fish if injested.  Iuse red sewing string tied to the shank of my treble and then rapped around the chicken liver. Also you want to be careful using blugill for bait they are cosidered a game fish,or at least dont talk about it to much,have done it my self
it is perfectly legal to use gills for bait live or cut but you must follow daily bag limits and posesion limits also. the regs clearly state this

· Registered
6,955 Posts
you might do a search here we have had many discussions on this subject with direct quotes to the regs. im on a back up puter right now with out my favorites or id post the link to the online regs for ya

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.