Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone be so kind as to mentor me a bit. I want to become competent at catching cats here. I did well growing up in the east but I never hook cats here. I live on the Poudre north of Fort Collins. i have a little jon boat. But most importantly I have a 10 year old who is obsessed with catfish as is her dad. Any tips. Where is my best bet? Nighttime or does it really matter and if so where will they let me go out on my boat at night. Electric minn kota only. Im thinking a combo of cut shad and/or some dip bait on a jig where the weight sits on the bottom but perhaps a leader to a hook that could float 10 or so inches above? i could go on. Any help would be so appreciated. Cheers and check in. Im a bit of a geek. Jack of many trades...master of none. Just got a sweet lowrance 5 elite that out costs my boat. Talk to me. Wyoming, denver, front range, loveland etc
[email protected]. Please and thanks in advance

"What can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"
-Christopher Hitchens

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Methods sound good. Now you just gotta try out some waters! Do a search on this forum for catfish and you'll learn a bit about location.

Welcome!!!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I think most ponds up there by the poudre have cats in them, the flooding could of definitely effected the fishing there though, I fished once up there this year caught 2 small cats on a worm

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
You will catch cats at about any pond or lake in Ft. Collins......use chicken liver to find 'em....and then fresh caught cut bait sunfish to entice the biggest fish in the system. I'm not sure about flood damage....but I'd start with Riverbend ponds.....a lot of water to explore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had some good catches at Windsor Lake. And a few small ones at Lon Hagler if that helps any.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts