Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the basic rig you guys use for catfish? What type of line, hooks and set up? I'd like to target some cats this year. Also do you need the big reels and pole they sell just for catfish or is that all hype?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have been using a circle hook on a 2-3 feet leader, connected to the main line with a snap swivel, then a med to large egg sinker.

For bait I use shrimp most of the time, sometimes liver and sometimes a stink bait.

I use at least a medium action rod, with circle hooks I reel in the slack and then open the bail. When I see the line going out, flip the bail and reel in at a moderate speed.

Some folks like to let the slack out a few feet then close the bail to the fish self hooks.

Dan

·
Registered
699 Posts
i have never personally used those rigs and i have caught monster fish with a slip sinker and a size 4 hook or a circle hook i use a standard medium wieght rod for cats and just smoke um

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How large of an egg sinker? I have some up to 1oz.

Could you also use a baitcaster and turn on the clicker, reel in slack and press the spool release and wait for the sound? Never heard of this I just thought it might work.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
The egg sinker just depends on how far you want to cast. Use enough weight to get it where you want it. The egg sinker is important because the line will slide through it and give the cat more time take the bait before getting resistance.

Using the bait caster is a great way to do it also. Especially if you are occupied with another line etc.

Dan

F

·
0 Posts
Could you also use a baitcaster and turn on the clicker, reel in slack and press the spool release and wait for the sound? Never heard of this

I have an old Ambassador 5000 that is direct drive and has a clicker in free spool. Set in a solid holder at night and wait for the buzz. Perfect set-up for cats in still water. If you could net some of those shad out of Chatfield and cut into thin strips with the skin on ------------

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I agree with Dan about his setup, the size of egg sinker I usually only use about a 3/8 oz sinker at the most. If I am fishing a fast current then I will use 1oz or higher depending on current. I use circle hooks for shrimp, crayfish tails, stinkbait, cutbait, and minnows. I use treble hooks for stinkbait, Chicken liver, and live bait (except night crawlers). I use J hooks for night crawlers and crayfish. This is all personal prefrence.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you guys say shrimp do you mean shrimp like at the supermarket? Cooked or raw? Shell on or off? Also can you get chicken livers at the supermarket?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Hatchmaster said:
When you guys say shrimp do you mean shrimp like at the supermarket? Cooked or raw? Shell on or off? Also can you get chicken livers at the supermarket?
Shrimp raw! some people soak them in a garlic/vinalla or other mixture, but I just use them raw. Also for like 1.50$ you can get a tub of chicken livers at walmart that work great. (hard to keep the crawdads off in the summer)

·
Registered
110 Posts
i use the simple slip egg sinker and a 2 half foot 10# mono leader. circle hooks always.... and when i go out of state in large rivers a three way swivel hook up.. works well...

M

·
0 Posts
Aside from using the slip sinker technique, I've also tied on a 1 oz sinker or bigger (beach sinker, pyramid sinker, round sinker, etc.) and tied two separate loops a couple of feet apart above it and "loop to looped" snelled hooks to the line (anything from size 4 on up). Put stinky bait (muscle, chicken liver, shrimp, etc., etc.) on one hook and a crawler on the other. I usually catch the fish on the crawler but I've caught fish on both. I've also "accidentally" caught wiper and walleye while catfishing using this technique.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts