Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few friends and I decided to try our hand at something we've never done before - targeting Channel Catfish through the ice. This definitely proved to be a bit of a challenge and took me out of my comfort zone. After getting a few bites and fish up the hole we started to figure out a method that worked for us. I don't feel like it's the most productive way to catch these fish but it worked out for us that day. At the end of the day everyone in our group caught quite a few fish, had their rods doubled over and left with smiles on our faces. These fish put up a heck of a fight on Walleye gear! I will definitely try to get back up there this season.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work Mitch! I recently got my first one thru the ice. Fun stuff for sure.
Were you surprised when it came up the hole? The first one I caught (and only outside of this trip) was on a River Backwater where I was targeting Crappie and I never expected a Catfish to bite during that trip.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Were you surprised when it came up the hole?
Wasn't exactly expecting a cat. But we were told they were stacked up in that area a few days earlier. Funny part was he hit a 5mm Kenders with a minnow head. Yeah, I was hoping for Crappie.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasn't exactly expecting a cat. But we were told they were stacked up in that area a few days earlier. Funny part was he hit a 5mm Kenders with a minnow head. Yeah, I was hoping for Crappie.
I gotchya! Haha we caught almost all of our fish on the new 6mm Kenders and either minnow heads or chicken liver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts