Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Try any lake where you can catch cats during the summer. Fish with live minnows. Anchor them to the bottom or reduce their movement by hooking them on a jig hook. My friend just sent me a picture of two 7-10 lb (my guess, based on the picture) cats caught in a lake around Fort Collins through the ice about a week and half ago. They were hoping for walleye, and nailed these two big cats.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Although I no longer ice fish, that doesn't mean I don't know how. :)

In the winter, catfish seek a location that has (1) the slowest current, and (2) the warmest water. That usually means the deepest water. If you are ice fishing on a river (perhaps not the usual thing in Colorado), you can sometimes find cats in slow water areas away from the main channel. Or if there is a wider section of the river that makes the current go slower, sometimes they will seek the deepest part of the main channel.

In reservoirs look for the old river channel and fish in that. If you know of any deep holes try those too.

Don't bother with stink baits, etc. during the winter. The cats will take live minnows or cut bait under the ice. For best results you need to be right at the bottom. Lower your bait until it hits bottom, then raise it about 3 inches, just to keep it out of the mud, but no more than that.

Occasionally, people jigging for walleyes under the ice will catch a cat, but that is more like a fluke and if you are really after cats, go with the natural baits. Cutthroat is right on the money with his comments on that.

W. E.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I've never had much luck icing catfish in lakes... winter catfishing rivers is different. But all the old timers always told me if there is a lid catfish will only eat dead fish off the bottom. They always recommended cut perch or gills. But if I was trying here in Colorado I might also try carp or trout (until January 2006 when trout will no longer be allowed as bait).

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
ePiC said:
But all the old timers always told me if there is a lid catfish will only eat dead fish off the bottom. They always recommended cut perch or gills.
Sounds like a bunch of Nebraskans to me.

J/K :D
Haha you almost say that like its a bad thing. Go CornHuskers! :p

·
Registered
943 Posts
epic are you tryimg to alienate every one here? first the tacoma thing and now the corn? well i guess there is always one redheaded stepchild in every family ;D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
We catch a lot fishing for pike at rio blanco lake. We fish the deepest spot in the lake (only 17 fow) and use dead anchovies 1 ft or so off of the bottom.

·
Registered
935 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
We catch a lot fishing for pike at rio blanco lake. We fish the deepest spot in the lake (only 17 fow) and use dead anchovies 1 ft or so off of the bottom.
I've heard similar things from others now and then. Knowing catfish predatory habits, I would suggest that either an anchored live minnow or a dead one would do the trick, if you are in the right place. Deepers seems better, if you're fishing during the day. In the night, you might try flats adjacent to deeper waters, as I suspect when catfish do feed in winter, they look for their prey where the prey are most likely to be shallower water.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
afishman said:
epic are you tryimg to alienate every one here? first the tacoma thing and now the corn? well i guess there is always one redheaded stepchild in every family ;D
Silly thats Ken!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts