Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking to build a couple of friends of mine catfishing rods this year for christmas. We really got into cattin this summer, but are somewhat gear limited. We got several fish over 10lbs, and I would like to build rods to handle those types of fish. I was wondering if you guys might have any recomendations on rod action or length. I also would like to know if you all prefer spinning or casting gear. I have both, and it seems like fewer cats commit on my baitcaster with the bait-clicker engaged than do on my spinning rods. Any thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Fiberglass!!!! Zirconia or SiC guide rings if using braid, spiral wrapped baitcasters and new concept spinning rods in the 7' range. Surf shrink wrap may be a nice handle, or the cork tape with surf wrapped split grips, there are also some nice rubberized tapes that will look nice with a split grip. EVA is a cheap option as well. blanks should cost no more than $25 for a real good fiberglass blank, handles should be close to $30, guides for zirconia or SiC will be close to $40 a set, $15 for alconite or lower ring hardness. Even on the spinning rods, I'd use double foot guides for durability to beating and banging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts