Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knowing that a lot of people on this site enjoy catfishing I thought this might be of intrest. Here in Longmont, they have whats called catfish nights or something along those terms. They allow people to fish fairgrounds lake for catfish with bait at night, which is normally not allowed, this happens 3 or 4 times a summer, and they do it at Walden/Sawhill also. Its not a tourney, but I have seen quite a few large cats taken though never fished them myself. I dont know the dates for this year, but if you want i know a few people at B.C. openspace and can find out p.m. or whatever.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here got it. Boulder County Parks and Open Space will sponsor three Catfish Nights at Fairgrounds Lake on June 28, July 26 and August 23, 2006. Please contact Pascale Fried at (303) 678-6201, for more information.

Anglers must have a current Colorado fishing license and are welcome to drop-in anytime during the evenings' special events. Since night fishing isn't permitted at Fairgrounds Lake, anglers participating in these special events must register. Registration is free and will take place at the Fairgrounds Lake parking lot off Boston Ave. Anglers cannot use live bait, but worms and stink bait are permitted. Shore fishing only. Best directions are Boston and Hover Road. Heres a map zip code is 80501 for anyone that needs to know.
http://tinyurl.com/lh6yf
Highway 119 runs east to I-25 or west into Boulder.

·
Registered
902 Posts
fished sawhill this evining, larger of the smaller bait-ponds. Had a fish break off this afternoon and i was convinced it was a 10lb cat. Went back at about 10, hoked into a giant again and guess what..... big old carp. I try to tell my self it was still a good fight (took 10 min) but carp suck, at least i will be able to sleep knowing the other one was probibly a carp too-
P.S. your ok there untill midnight i think-

·
Registered
267 Posts
i talkes to an open space ranger at pella about catfish nights about a month ago, he said on catfish nights you could fish till 11:00 pm.
it sound a little weak to me. i might rather pay to fish nights at union or st. vrain state park. stay up all night. anyone caught big cats at either of those?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
It would be nice to be able to fish some of those ponds at Pella...ive seen some big cats cruising around in the clear water there. a friend of mine has caught a few big ones on the rip rap while fishing for bass there. last year i threw a wooley bugger (not exactly my favorite catfish bait) at a big channel that must have pushed 10 lbs that was hanging out near some bluegill beds...but it didnt want to have anything to do with me. go figure, i think he was more interested in a bluegill dinner instead of a size 6 bugger.

I have yet to catch a big cat at Union or St Vrain....but they are in there, Ive seen some people with some monster fish they have caught. Infact, i havnt caught a single catfish at Union yet....after several dozen trips out there trying for them at night. Bad timing i guess, i know they are there. A retired game warden i know says he used to clean up on them out at Union while fishing from a boat on the north and east side using cutbait on the edges of the cat tails. maybe thats my problem, i need a boat.....

john the fisherman said:
i talkes to an open space ranger at pella about catfish nights about a month ago, he said on catfish nights you could fish till 11:00 pm.
it sound a little weak to me. i might rather pay to fish nights at union or st. vrain state park. stay up all night. anyone caught big cats at either of those?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I was at Union the other day...no cats. Only cats I've caught there are bullheads but at the entrance there are pictures posted by the rangers of this year's fish and there are some monster cats being taken out of Union!

We didn't get the good ol' skunk but we didn't leave with anything we were hoping for. We were using mussels, crawlers, and cut shad--all we caught were trout! WTF? Too crazy! Not sure what's going on at Union but we usually never leave without a few wiper. Strange....

·
Registered
267 Posts
khabibulin said:
Hey guys this place sounds pretty cool. I wanna go there do I just walk right on in or how does it work?
union is in weld county. it is run by city of longmont, there is an entry fee of $6 at the one and only entrance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts