Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about checking out Barr Lake Thursday evening...to see if its fishable and the catfish are biting. anyone been there recently or interested in going? the last time i went there the water was kinda high...if the conditions stay ideal (no thunderstorms) i was gonna head out there around 7pm or so.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I tried it out today for a little bit. I was hoping to see a ranger to see if we could nightfish it in August but none were around. I rode my bike to the other side and fished by the railroad tracks using shrimp and minnows. I was there from 5 to 7:30p.m and had no bites. Water level is still high and there is vegetation everywhere! Also the floating green algae is eveywhere too that always appears when the sun is out. Would have stayed longer but was getting soaked and was too scared of the lightning.

·
Registered
374 Posts
actually i fished barr off shore last night,used shrimp and nightcrawlers.got there at 7pm left at 10pm.unfortunately the fishin was no good.also i will add that the lake is completely full and hard to fish from the bank.i fished off the boat ramp,that kinda seemed like the only place that was fishable.that place used to be alright when it was low,but things have changed since then.
good luck.
shawn

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Thats place is waaayyy high!!!! I remember last year if you were at where the dock was in the water you couldn't even throw a rock to where the water was, thats how low it was. Now the water is up over the tree's.

-Jay

·
Registered
374 Posts
yeah i was shocked when i got there last night.
on a good note when i got there i spoke with a guy that had a couple trout,he said that when he was reeling in one of his trout a big muskie came chasin it.he said he almost got it from him too,took a good swipe at it but missed.so there might be opportunity for a muskie in that area.once me and buddy heard that we put on the trout swim baits.no results but there are alot of weeds to left side of the ramp that are reachable with waders or a good cast.im thinkin there might be muskies and bass useing those weeds.

F

·
0 Posts
i was at evergreen last week and seen some lady with three kids lose a monster tiger musky ..she had no shot ....light line drag not set ...anyways after she lost it i asked her what she was using ...salmon eggs ..im out here with my expensive plueger baitcaster rod and reel tossing out 10 dollar musky killers and huge plugs and this lady gets one on salmon eggs ...hahahaha...pretty much put me in my place i was thinking i was the top dog on the lake with my expensive stuff and she hooks one with they old zebco ..ha

·
Registered
636 Posts
First of all, you cannot use waders at Barr Lake. I don't know why. Also, this lake does have huge muskie in it. I have said this before, but I have seen them. One rolling around on top of the water, one that just died a few days before I found him, and a jaw of one that I could stick both fists in. This was about five years ago and all fish had to be 35"+. I don't think that they stocked it with tigers in a while but they are still in there. If you are fishing Barr Lake from shore, you need to have patience. The best time to fish there is between September and October when the water is very low. I still go when it is high and don't know why since I never catch anything, but when it is low it is non-stop action.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i made a trip to Barr last night....and everything was high. the water...the weeds on the shoreline...and most of all the wind. i should have brought a surf board.

it looks like it wont be until they start drawing water out of it that the fishing will be any good for the shore bound folks. last year it dropped pretty good from july on to sept...then the fishing was good from shore for the cats and an occasional wiper.

im not sure about the "no wading" reg...i talked to a ranger last year and he said he had no problem with it...i waded a few times there when the water was down. GotMusky where di you hear this at? maybe the ranger was misinformed....

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
there is supposed to be no wading but most the rangers are cool and if asked dont care if you wade or fish till midnight or so.. and there are some huge musky in there. when we go carp shooting we see some massive musky. i personally have seen three atleast 40 plus inches. my oldman says he has ssen bigger.. ive only seen them on the east side of the dam around to the dock.. just a hint is all i got for you.. i have fished them and got nothing there..

YET

pabst for everyone

1 - 20 of 25 Posts