Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to fish some longmont/boulder area ponds where i always see catfish crusisng the shallows. The problem is that these lakes are artificial fly and lure only, so im pretty stumped as how to target those guys any ideas???? thanks  in advance

·
Registered
163 Posts
If I recall correctly, most "flies and lures only" places also forbid small plastics and anything smelly. So that nixes the Doctor Juice.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Actually, it's the pig (pork trailer) that they would forbid. Since it was once alive. Most artificial fly/lure areas are ok w/ scented plastics. As long as they are 3 inches or longer.

Rob --- At Pellas, I use Gulp worms sometimes. (I asked a ranger there {Windie} and she said it was allowed). Anyway, we discovered by accident. That if you leave those for even a short time (3 minutes or so) on the bottom. You're bound to catch a cat. This was in Sunset. Off the rocks, or almost straight across from the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I've caught catsifh on jerkbaits, rattle traps, gulp minnows, and daredevils. But I think jigs and wooley buggers would also work for cats.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
The current rule on plastics I believe is 1.5 inches...and scented plastics arent illegal...but they are going to be...I still picture DOW officers sniffing your plastics....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I can't wait to get out there and try some of these things. Make sure and watch for a report, hopefully I'll reel a few in. James your pointers sound great as I like to fish pella and it's real close.

·
Registered
17 Posts
you can use scent as long as its over 1.5 inches. So, for cats you could use a dip bait worm with whatever scent you want.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Two weekends ago I fished Pella in the morning and caught a 30-inch cat with a white Gulp Minnow at Heron and lost another one that was about 25-27 inches at Webster.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
http://wildlife.state.co.us/regulations/ch01.pdf

top of page 2 "definitions" clearly says no stink baits i think they consider dip baits as a stink bait as the fish are atracted by the smell

the scents they refer to are the liquids and sprays

with the water being warm just about any minnow imitating lure has a shot at a cat ive caught them on marabu jigs and cranks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Artificial flies and lures" means devices made entirely of, or a combination of, materials such
as wood, plastic, glass, hair, metal, feathers, or fiber, designed to attract fish. This definition does
not include any hand moldable material designed to attract fish by the sense of taste or smell;
those devices less than one and one-half inch in length to which scents or smell attractants have
been externally applied; molded plastic devices less than one and one-half inch in length; foods;
traditional organic baits such as worms, grubs, crickets, leeches, minnows and fish eggs; or
manufactured baits such as imitation fish eggs, dough baits or stink baits.

if its over an 1.5in. you can apply scent.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
aaron said:
if its over an 1.5in. you can apply scent.
Until they pass the new rules, so go to the meetings and make sure they know your views as an angler.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i just called and talked to a couple folks at the pueblo dow office and affter getting bounced around to several differnt people they finaly agreed that scents are puorable liquids and sprays the catfish dip baits are not and as such are not permisable

the name "dip bait" kinda answers it

now i admit i went thru several people at dow to get an answer so your results might vary

i wouldn't take the chance

i just got a bottle of "baitmate classic" fish attractant, catfish it is a sprayable liquid and would be ligit you might try something like that along with a marabu jig as the chenille will absorb alot of the scent

my personal feeling is that if it catches fish just laying on the bottom it is a bait i feel to be a lure it must be presented and requires some sort of control or manipulation this is not the reg just my feeling

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I've caught cats on panther martins, rattletraps, jigging rapalas, and probably a few other lures I forgot. A good fly would be one imitating a perch or bluegill. Good luck!

I disagree with the less than 1.5" plastic rule, but we've already had that discussion. Now scented plastics are going to be illegal too. I've heard that means no senkos because they have too much salt...is that true?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've caught channel cats on spinnerbaits while fishing for largemouth...only cats I've ever caught, but they sure are good fighters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts