Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've never caught a catfish and I figure that it's about time. I want to go fishing not far from home (<5 miles) from about 8 to 11 pm. I live near Broomfield. So where is a good spot nearby? I was thinking of McKay Lake at about 144th and Zuni, but it is artificial flys and lures only. Any other small ponds that might work?

Since I've never caught catfish, what species and size is good for eating? What should I catch and release?

Does anyone know how to tie a chicken liver fly pattern? ;)

Thanks in advance guys/gals!

T

·
0 Posts
Adams County Fairgrounds. Channel cats and bullheads is all we have close to home. Catfish are scavengers. Worms, shrimp, chicken liver and cut bait work well for catfish.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Adams County Fairgrounds caught my first channel catfish there about a month ago. (also Got muskie caught a 31 incher 15 pounder out there last Monday on shrimp).
Try shrimp, worms....or...salmon eggs???
Last tuesday I went to the fairgrounds with my nephew from about 7:00PM-10:00PM (we had no bites on worms or crawfish tails), however the catfish were jumping on one guy's lines. He stated he was going for trout but couldn't keep the 10 inch cats off his salmon eggs...I did not know cats liked salmon eggs, maybe the carp were spawning and were dropping eggs....this really suprised me. Has anyone else caught cats off salmon eggs?

As far as eating size goes...I had both a 15 inch and 20 incher that first time I went and they were both delicious!!

Good Fishing to ya if you go!!!

TH

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
David

Here is a thread you can read through and you will find all the information you need.  Page 3 there is a lake map in one of the posts...page 4 there are directions in one of the posts...

Hope it helps...also if you click on search you can put in Adams County and see all the threads on the location...

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=2363.0

·
Registered
862 Posts
ive also heard of some big cats being caught out of stearns lake which isnt far from broomfield its a little west of 287 and dillion road u can see it on the left from 287

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zman, thanks for the pointers.

Pitbull, I forgot about Sterns Lake. Last year it seems like every time I fished there I got eaten alive by mosquitos. Often times they were so thick that it would sound like one of those B-Movie sound effects. Since then I've been repressing my memories of that place...

B

·
0 Posts
Sterns is covered in mosquitos I bathed in bug spray and still got bit like crazy & my eye swelled shut.

C

·
0 Posts
I have caught tons of catfish on salmon eggs. It is a common food during the spring time spawn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts