Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best place in Waneka to catfish. I am going tomorrow and would love to catch a little dinner. Don't want any secret spots but would really Like to catch a few for dinner. Please help a newbie. Also does anyone know of any bait shops near Waneka Lake Park.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
shadowbiz said:
Over in the mud flats.  West side of the lake.
Yep.. Just try to find a clearing in the cattails to fish comfortably. There's a bait shop on HWY 7 across the street from Waneka. Another one in downtown on the main street. I'd say just bring some worms and try to get a few perch or bluegills. Bring a knife. Cut up a perch/bluegill and use cutbait. Add the entrails and walla!! You could also try the usual chicken livers, worms, stinkbaits etc.. Hint: Basketball court on westside of lake or north end of dam where the rocks end. 8lb line or more as some of those catfish in Waneka have surprised me before with their size. Biggest one I've seen couldn't even fit the cooler. Many more similar sized fish seen, but only a handful of anglers even fish for catfish there.

Good luck,
1eyeReD

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ive seen some big cats caught in Waneka..but unfortuneatly i think its closed after dark---or something along those lines--- so that rules out night fishing.  the cops even patrol it all the way around the lake on the bike path ive noticed, i was running there one night and they told me i had to leave...

yeah, the west side of the lake looks pretty fishy though.  the one time i cat fished there i caught a few on that side.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help. I will let you know how I did. I will even put pics up if there are any.

·
Registered
943 Posts
GOOD LUCK WE ARE ALL PULLING FOR YOU

·
Registered
864 Posts
well i guess im gonna go to waneka only been there once before that was a company picnic about a month ago tons of fish jumpin so many i HAD to go to the car get my tackel n fish the lake got one of my buddies to do the same so atleast i didnt look like anti social dude by myself haha ill let everyone know how it goes....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I Lafayette COlorado. I can't remember the streets but will head out there this weekend for some late afternoon catfishing

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
coonass1962 said:
I Lafayette COlorado. I can't remember the streets but will head out there this weekend for some late  afternoon catfishing
So how've you done there lately?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My sister passed away a couple weeks ago and haven't been in about a month. She and her Husband were swimmimg in a lake in Texas. They opened the dam the night before and didn't announce it. There were five drowning that weekend at Lake Pakestine.

But I am going to Adams tomorrow night and then to waneka this weekend to try my luck there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all who reply. My family and I thank you. She was only 41 and died trying to save her husband who was 47. They Loved each other and I guess this was the final show of Love for them both. Again thanks Dan

·
Registered
943 Posts
i am praying for you as well. that sucks if you need anything let me know

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all I am on my way out to try and catch some fish at Adams COunty Fair grounds. WIll tell all how I did tomorrow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts