Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering is someone could tell me the easiest way to keep livers on the hook i have been using my wifes old nylons but they dont seem to work the best any suggestions also is this the same for stink baits

·
Registered
405 Posts
Back in the day when I fished for cats often in Kansas, I'd use the wife's nylons as the goto material, as she always seemed to have sets with runs in them, so there was never a shortage. I also used plain old gauze that you could pickup at any discount store.

I would fix either to the hook with very small rubberbands. I think they have ready made material available similar to what slayer may use when affixing egg sacs to hooks when fishing for trout. You may have to check around for them. Slayer if you read this thread perhaps you can provide some info on where to pickup the material you use.

Pete

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
A few ways I have either heard about or read about:

Size 6 treble hook with a spring on shank of the treble...liver wraps around that and the hook points...

Put the liver on a treble hook before putting the treble hook on your line...Use a small swivel with your line and smash  the liver down over the eye of the hook and down on the points with full chunks of liver...then snap the hook onto the swivel...next to impossible to cast off since it is smashed through the shank...I have heard that some guys use old film cannisters...the plastic ones camera film comes in...they put a treble hook in the cannister...smash liver on it before they go fishing...put the cap on...put in fridge or cooler and it is ready to be put on the swivel with no mess at lake or streamside...

The last one is to use a product I read about...There is some stuff called "Magic Thread" that is used to tie spawn sacks on the hook for trout.  It stretches on soft baits...no knot tieing supposedly...here is the link...

http://www.fishusa.com/HTML/Atlas_Magic_Thread.asp

F

·
0 Posts
dude all ive ever used is plain old treble hooks ...those cats dont care how pretty it looks

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I just use a regular circle hook...usually for fishing around colorado one in size 2/0.  if the liver is fresh it will usually last for a cast or two if you are careful.  it takes some practice impaling the liver multiple times in several places to get it to stay on, but it is easier than using rubber bands or string or anything else ive found.  trebels work for this also, as Guitars said, but i like the way circle hooks work for me and i rarely lose fish if they take it solidly...and its easier for me to get the hooks out...which is always a plus.

of course on my last catfishing trip i was skunked...so who knows, i might be all wrong   ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
you can also use plain sewing thread and just wrap it around the live about 30 times but don't tie it. Someone else mentioned before that if you cut open a golfball, the stuff inside works great.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i just use a plain treble hook. i just need to get it out there once because i believe if its there longer than 30 minutes it loses all its flavor anyway

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
afishman said:
i just use a plain treble hook. i just need to get it out there once because i believe if its there longer than 30 minutes it loses all its flavor anyway
What I want to know is how do YOU, know it loses its taste after 30 minutes?

Dan

T

·
0 Posts
Dan said:
afishman said:
What I want to know is how do YOU, know it loses its taste after 30 minutes?

Dan

LOL-  Dan, of all fishermans-  I thought you would know.  *Taste involves tasting*.  So I would imagine afishman tasted the liver before hooking and tasted it after 30mins of dunking in the lake/river/pond.

afishman had this one coming......

Although, when I fish for crawdads,  after dunking the chicken liver for over 15 minutes or more.  I have noticed that the chicken liver is losing it's color and doesn't catch as much crawdads.  I would throw away the used liver and tie up some FRESHLY STANK livers.

I've used beef liver and they stay on the hook really well. *

C

·
0 Posts
I got the end all solution for chicken livers. Go out to your local Hobby Lobby or sewing shop and buy a yard of nylon mesh (will set you back about 75 cents). Then cut the mesh into squares double the size of the bait you are using and staple along the dges with a stapler. Put your bait in, staple the top and put it on your hook LEAVING THE HOOK EXPOSED. It work awesome!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Its gotten to the point where i now can go through tubs of chicken livers and grade them--- much like a production fly tier grades dry fly hackle, or Tom Shane grades diamonds by color, clarity, and size.

i look for livers that are firm to the touch, not too light colored and with just the right amount of white, fatty tissue to ensure it stays on the hook. fresh is key, liver that is too soft or mushy never makes it through my rigorous weeding out process. Unfortunately though, i dont have to spend 4 months out the the year in Thailand and Belgium working with retailers, i generally only have to go as far as King Soopers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts