Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I am a new fisherman to the CO state and would like to know if anyone can give me any tips on how fish Lake Pueblo for cats. I have never fished there before and do not have a boat. I will be doing some bank fishing. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

See ya on the waters,
Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you rivrunnr1. I was having some issues searching for topics. Appreciate the assistance.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
bank fishing for cats here is mostly miss and hard to do from a boat. a few people can do it both ways but I can only think of 3 who do it well. I have been fishing pueblo for over 30 years, boat and shore and catch less than one per year

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Yeah i've struggled for them since ive fished pueblo (a long ass time).....I have them figured out in the fall but not the spring. Even with hobie-info I fail in the spring LOL

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
The numbers of cats in Pueblo is small compared to the size of the lake. But, it holds some really large cats. Night fishing expect to get bit three or four times in about the same number of hours. Expect the cats to run 10lbs and up. I posted about spring and spawning cats, come summer try this. Look for the finger coves and set up at the mouth of the cove. Cats will run in and out of the coves during the night. They don't have to be big coves. Don't fish too far out. Keep your bait in water five to twelve feet deep. Fish at an angle away from where you're sitting..down the shoreline and keep any light off the water. I like chicken livers during the summer. Use half a liver thread the hook gently through the liver don't over thread or you'll turn it into mush. I don't use any weight and just do a gentle lob cast. Leave some slack in your line and watch for your line to move. You'll also catch some wipers as they too love chicken liver.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
The numbers of cats in Pueblo is small compared to the size of the lake. But, it holds some really large cats. Night fishing expect to get bit three or four times in about the same number of hours. Expect the cats to run 10lbs and up. I posted about spring and spawning cats, come summer try this. Look for the finger coves and set up at the mouth of the cove. Cats will run in and out of the coves during the night. They don't have to be big coves. Don't fish too far out. Keep your bait in water five to twelve feet deep. Fish at an angle away from where you're sitting..down the shoreline and keep any light off the water. I like chicken livers during the summer. Use half a liver thread the hook gently through the liver don't over thread or you'll turn it into mush. I don't use any weight and just do a gentle lob cast. Leave some slack in your line and watch for your line to move. You'll also catch some wipers as they too love chicken liver.

this is one of the three I posted about

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the tips and advice, I plan on going Sat morning and will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One of these days I'll do some night fishing for catfish down at pueblo, it's just a hard change of pace when the walleye, crappie, and wiper are biting good. I've heard that brush hollow is a better catfish lake but I've yet to try it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After doing some research, I think I will be trying out Brush Hollow instead of Lake Pueblo due to a few tournaments going on there. I also prefer it to be quiet, if I can help it. Thanks fishaddict99 for the recommendation.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
I heard brush hollow has been molested more this spring than a female Fox News anchor...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh wow, can you elaborate? Do you have any recommendations for a good catfish location near COS or surrounding areas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ended up going to Brush Hollow on Sat morning. I got there pretty early around 0600 and was checking out the lake. I ended up on the Western side of the lake. where I had to walk down a series of rocks/hills. I was unable to find the road to go around the dam to get to the other side. I just wanted to fish. As soon I casted my first rod in, like 3 minutes, I had hooked a nice eating size catfish. The rest of the day was slow. Averaged 1-2 bites a hour, but did not catch any fish. I was using a Carolina rig with #4 treble hook w/punch bait. Left around 1300, but had a great time on the lake. Been 10 years since I last fished. Going to try another lake this weekend. Not sure exactly where yet.

·
Registered
841 Posts
https://zoom.earth/#38.460965,-105.04775,15z,map

Can't get from the bluffs on the west side over to the east. Looks like 3rd street accesses both east(CR 127) and west side off 115. Haven't been there in years, but from the east side you use to be able to get over to the west flats by going around the north end, then you could hike the rest of the west side.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah, as bobber said. When you came in, you drove past the road to the east side of the lake and the boat ramp. There's a sign on your right a couple blocks off of 115. On the dam side, there is a washed out 4x4 road that would allow you to get from the west side to the east side. Not recommended. If you come in on the east side, you can drive to the west side and depending upon water levels..there's a lot of shoreline to fish. Be careful driving on or around the lake bed during low water periods. Not sure how many trucks I've seen pulled out of that mud with 4x4 tractors. Can't be cheap.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
I fished there once. Ice fishing. That place sucks. That's all i got-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts