Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHen do the ctfish start spawning around here. I know it is quite early for this. But I went to Arkansas and caught some pretty good flat heads and now have it in my blood. I also caught soem crappie that were really nice. But, I like the catfish.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I dont know when they start spawning but I catch them from the end of march/early april until late october in Colorado. I usually have good luck during a warm front early and late in the season. Do any of you guys target them in late feb. or early march?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I target cats all year around. It is difficult here in Colorado but it can be done. In-fisherman has a lot of publications and videos about cold water cats, even ice fishing for them. Here though I have my best luck in feeder creeks for reservoirs and dam out-lets in the winter. It is tough fishing but when your an addict you get your fix however you can.
Coonass, I am sorry you caught those flatheads because now your screwed, once its in your blood you will beg borrow or steal to catch more. Unfortantlly I to have flathead disease.

Brett

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
coonass1962 said:
WHen do the ctfish start spawning around here.
Catfish want warm water to spawn, so they prefer to wait until the water hits 75 degrees or higher, but if it takes too long to get up there I think they will go ahead and spawn anyway. The length of the days has something to do with it too. Catfish want to move upstream to spawn, so if there is some obstruction such as a dam, you will catch tons of them just below it.

You don't have to wait for spawning to catch cats, though. They will bite in cold water. The best time to go catfishing is whenever you can get some free time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am understanding that if the Carp are spawning, the cats are right behind 'em..........so probably late April or early May.........Tight Lines and screaming reels...........................TONY a.k.a. CATAHOLIC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cats are constant eaters, even though cold water temps lower their metabolism, and their feeding, they still feed year round. And, while what THansen77 said is also true about cats and the carp spawn, its true for cats and ANYTHING spawning. They're extremely opportunistic feeders, and any kind of food hitting the water (even spawn), will bring 'em running (er... finning?). I participated with the Utah FWS on a few experimental cat removal projects on the Yampa the last two years, and you can definately tell when you are close to a spawning area for any kind of fish. The cats will stack up like cordwood to gorge...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I believe WE is right...mid seventies for temp...which I believe is like the end of July or beginning of August at Chatfield...and I also thought Channels liked rip rap to spawn...dont know for sure...just thought I remembered reading that sometime somewhere...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts